Pakistan abolishes Haj quota of MPsJune 18th, 2009 - 12:41 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 17 (IANS) The Pakistan government Wednesday abolished the Haj quota of all parliamentarians, including president and prime minister, in order to “provide equal chance” to every aspirant.
Announcing a new Haj policy for 2009, Minister for Information and Broadcasting Qamar Zaman Kaira said the government and private tour operators will equally share the Hajj quota this year.
Around 160,000 Pakistani Muslims will perform the holy journey to Makkah. The government and private operators will each send 80,000 pilgrims, Pakistan’s Online news agency quoted the minister as saying after a cabinet meeting here.
Kaira said ministers’ quota has been abolished, and now each and every pilgrim will go on merit and there will be no quota system for any official.
This, he said, has been done to provide equal chance to every aspirant. He said that pilgrims would get their chance through lucky draw.
He said the government has requested Saudi Arabia for additional quota of 10,000 pilgrims.
The cabinet also decided not to issue new license to any fresh tour operator.
- Pakistani MPs urge government to restore Haj quota - Jun 20, 2009
- Three Indian Haj pilgrims die - Oct 07, 2011
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- Haj subsidy to end in 10 years, rules Supreme Court (Roundup) - May 08, 2012
- Apex court backs women tour operators on Haj quota - Apr 30, 2012
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Haj VIP quota is bad: Supreme Court - Oct 18, 2011
- India pays Rs.600 crore as Haj subsidy annually - May 08, 2012
- Remove Haj subsidy in 10 years, SC tells government (Third Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Haj tour operators demand release of quota - Sep 12, 2011
- Court curbs on Haj quota of private tour operators - Sep 19, 2011
- Over 23,000 Indians arrive in Saudi Arabia for Haj - Oct 05, 2011
- After 4 years, fly Srinagar-Jeddah this Haj - Sep 12, 2012
- Over 34,000 Indian Haj pilgrims in Saudi Arabia - Oct 08, 2011
- Preparations for Haj pilgrims on smooth track: Krishna - Aug 12, 2010
Tags: aspirant, cabinet meeting, haj, holy journey, islamabad, kaira, lucky draw, mps, news agency, pakistan government, parliamentarians, pilgrim, pilgrims, private operators, private tour operators, qamar, quota system, saudi arabia, tour operator, zaman