Pak withdraws notification-elucidating rules for newspapers registrationJanuary 12th, 2009 - 2:24 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Jan 12 (ANI): Pakistans Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has withdrawn the notification of Press, Newspapers, News Agencies and Books Registration Rules 2009.
A spokesman of the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, while referring to a news item published in a section of the Press titled Govt notifies Press Registration Ord, 2002, has said that the Ordinance was promulgated in 2002 and that rules were framed subsequently to implement different provisions of this Ordinance.
The Ministry has withdrawn the notification elucidating rules for registration of newspapers on the instructions of the Information Minister Sherry Rehman.
Sherry Rehman has said that no rules will be framed without consultation with relevant stakeholders like the Council of Pakistan Newspapers Editors (CPNE), who will be meeting with her early this week.
The spokesman said that the democratic government led by the Pakistan Peoples Party is committed to freedom of the media and does not believe in putting any restrictions on the print and electronic media.
The government is making all possible efforts to facilitate the media in having access to information and ensure free flow of information, the spokesman added.
The Ministry is making endeavours to create a media-friendly atmosphere and all its steps are focused on creating a free and cordial environment so that the media could work freely without any inhibition, The Nation quoted him, as saying.
Earlier, Sherry Rehman telephoned CPNE President Arif Nizami and said the Ordinance was issued without her knowledge, and assured him that the notification will be withdrawn. (ANI)
- Pak media community denounces 'drone attack' like gag order - Jul 11, 2010
- Sherry Rehman appointed Pakistan's envoy to US - Nov 23, 2011
- Sherry declines Pak Cabinet re-induction offer as Foreign Minister - Jan 22, 2010
- Nawaz in damage control mode over media ban, demands party leader's expulsion - Jul 11, 2010
- Sherry Rehman withdraws bill for blasphemy law amendment - Feb 03, 2011
- Pakistan to provide security, assistance to Mukhtaran Mai - Apr 22, 2011
- Anti-smoking activists in Kerala oppose I&B; ministry decision - May 09, 2012
- ''Jannat 2' ad showing Emraan smoking unlawful' - May 03, 2012
- Ministry withdraws press release about hiked amount to SC victims (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- Myanmar ends political, religious media censorship - Aug 20, 2012
- 'Blatant violation of anti-tobacco law in 'Heroine' promos' - Jul 25, 2012
- UAE minister issues ordinance on veterinary diseases - Dec 22, 2011
- No 1971 trial details to media, rules Dhaka panel - May 25, 2011
- Probe into memo will be made public: minister - Nov 24, 2011
- Pakistan to improve journalism standard - Nov 02, 2011
Tags: cordial environment, cpne, democratic government, electronic media, endeavours, free flow, information minister, inhibition, ministry of information, news agencies, news item, newspapers news, nizami, pakistan newspapers, pakistan peoples party, provisions, registration rules, relevant stakeholders, sherry rehman, spokesman said that