Pak will not curtail India-specific defence allocations: Pak ArmyJune 8th, 2009 - 12:45 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, June 8 (ANI): Pakistan has no intensions to curtail its India-specific defence budget, military spokesman Major General Athar Abbas has said.
Major General Abbas rejected some international appeals that suggested that Pakistan should cut down its India specific defence expenditures, and focus more on the ‘war on terror’.
“f you are suggesting that we should take something out of here and put it in another box that would not be a wise strategy. War on terror does require resources, but it should not be at the cost of something else,” The Dawn quoted Abbas, as saying.
Referring to the interim 35 per cent increase of about 26.5 billion dollars in India’s defense budget this fiscal year, Abbas said India’s defense budget clearly suggests that it is Pakistan specific, so Pakistan should also maintain a certain conventional parity with India.
“Take the example of India’s offensive aircraft, take the example of AWACS, take the example of air-to-air refuelling system. Then tank division and mechanised forces and their latest offensive doctrine of cold start strategy. All these things are Pakistan specific,” the ISPR Director General said.
Pakistan had originally allocated 297 billion rupees for defence, but raised it to 310 billion rupees in the last budget.
Sources said the defence allocations for the coming financial year might go up to 342 billion rupees. (ANI)
- Pakistan unlikely to change India-specific defence spending - Jun 08, 2009
- Pak's defence budget pales in comparison to India's, says spokesman - Mar 14, 2011
- Pakistan hikes defence budget by 10 percent - Jun 02, 2012
- Pakistan war-gaming to counter India's military plan - Jun 05, 2011
- Pak Army should remain restricted to defence, national security issues: Rafique - Mar 14, 2011
- India must go for covert action in Pakistan: Book - Jul 27, 2012
- Pak govt. mulling 100-billion rupee increase in defence budget - May 11, 2010
- 18 per cent increase in Pakistan's defence budget approved - Apr 08, 2011
- US, Arab world patronising Taliban: Pakistani leader - Feb 20, 2011
- Pak cuts Rs 65 billion from proposed allocation for war on terror - May 25, 2010
- Pak slashes development outlay to make way for Rs110 bn increase in defence budget - Sep 23, 2010
- Pak Govt. increases defence budget by 28.9 percent for 2010-11 - Jun 06, 2010
- IAF scouting for long-range missiles - Apr 25, 2011
- Inspired by Anna, Pakistani to fast against corruption - Aug 18, 2011
- No foreign troops allowed to conduct ground operation in Pakistan: Athar Abbas - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: abbas, allocations, athar, billion dollars, cold start, defence budget, defence expenditures, defense budget, director general, fiscal year, intensions, islamabad, military spokesman, offensive aircraft, pak army, parity, rupees, tank division, war on terror, wise strategy