Pak war on terror sending drug trafficking sky rocketing, says Anti Narrcotics ForceFebruary 25th, 2009 - 4:43 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Feb.25 (ANI): Drug trafficking in Pakistan may witness an upsurge as security forces are preoccupied with tackling terrorism in the country.This is what the Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF) of the country fears.
The Joint Director (intelligence) of Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF), Zegham Khan told a Senate Standing Committee on Labour, Manpower and Overseas Pakistanis that it was difficult to curb drug trafficking due to a shortage of manpower.
He said that without the help of the Frontier Constabulary (FC) and the army, it was virtually impossible to tackle the menace.
With 1,962 personnel, it was not possible for the ANF to curb drug trafficking. Without the help of the Frontier Constabulary (FC) and army, the provincial governments could not eradicate poppy cultivation, as the security forces were engaged in fighting the war against terrorism, The Daily Times quoted Khan, as saying.
Khan also informed that poppy is being cultivated on 4,000 hectares of land in Pakistan in the current year.
Concerned by the situation, the Senate Standing Committee unanimously asked the concerned authorities to take immediate steps to enhance the ANF strength, provide it all the help needed. (ANI)
- Pakistan, India ink pact to tackle drug trafficking - Sep 13, 2011
- Former Pakistani PM's son arrested - Sep 14, 2012
- 10 tonnes of hashish seized in Karachi - Nov 16, 2011
- Gilani's son in Rs.7 bn drug scam? - Mar 30, 2012
- Arrest warrants issued against Shahabuddin, Gilani's son - Jun 21, 2012
- Gilani's son, named in drug scam, returns from South Africa - Apr 22, 2012
- Pakistan prime ministerial hopeful Makhdoom Shahabuddin - a brief profile - Jun 20, 2012
- 17 cocaine labs destroyed in Colombia - Jan 26, 2012
- NCB to open Chhattisgarh office - Jun 18, 2012
- Drug scam: Details of visitors to Gilani's home sought - Apr 17, 2012
- Shahabuddin, Gilani's son face arrest (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Foreigners in Goa under 'unobtrusive surveillance' - Jul 20, 2012
- Drugs worth Rs.400 mn seized in Pakistan - Nov 23, 2010
- Peshawar Police bust drug gang - Oct 30, 2010
- UN backs Iran's counter-narcotics battle - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: army, authorities, drug trafficking, frontier, hectares, intelligence, labour, narcotics, overseas pakistanis, pakistan, poppy cultivation, provincial governments, security forces, senate standing committee, shortage of manpower, sky, war against terrorism, war on terror