Pak wants US to expedite disbursement of pledged aidSeptember 18th, 2010 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Sept 18 (ANI): Pakistan Prime Minister Syed Yousaf Raza Gilani has expressed hope that the United States would speed up the release of aid pledged under the Kerry Lugar bill and make payments of the Coalition Support Fund which were long overdue.
He was talking to US Special Representative for Pakistan and Afghanistan, Richard Holbrooke, who called on him along with a delegation at the Prime Minister’s House, the Daily Times reports.
Assuring Holbrooke of transparency and accountability in the distribution of flood aid, Gilani informed him that the National Oversight Disaster Management Council (NODMC) had been constituted to ensure judicious utilisation of foreign assistance for the reconstruction and rehabilitation of the flood-affected areas.
The prime minister also appreciated the expected US announcement of a comprehensive package for the rehabilitation and reconstruction phases at the Friends of Democratic Pakistan (FoDP) ministerial meeting in Brussels next month.
The US House of Representatives has already approved a resolution, by a vote of 396 to 2, approving relief aid and expressing solidarity with flood-hit Pakistan.
The US government had provided 260 million dollars in emergency humanitarian aid- including halaal meals, pre-fabricated steel bridges and other infrastructure for the Asian nation, according to the White House last week. (ANI)
- US plans to convert 'Friends of Democratic Pakistan' meeting for post-flood efforts - Aug 12, 2010
- 'Friends of Pak' tell it to get its economic reforms in place to ensure survival - Oct 16, 2010
- FoDP-suggested reforms for aid should already have been taken by Pak govt: Editorial - Oct 18, 2010
- US House approves relief aid for flood-hit Pakistan - Sep 17, 2010
- USAID to give $155 mn for education in Pakistan - Aug 16, 2011
- US, FoDP investments in Pak linked to reforms for securing self-sufficiency - Sep 07, 2010
- US to send additional 18 helicopters for Pak flood relief - Aug 29, 2010
- Pakistan seeks financial assistance in Istanbul - Aug 25, 2009
- 'Foreign aid for flood-hit Pakistan inadequate' - Sep 27, 2011
- US vows to continue supporting Pak amid devastating floods - Aug 29, 2010
- Pakistan lost $43 bn fighting terrorism: Qureshi - Jul 17, 2010
- Over 300 killed, 6 million affected in Pakistan floods - Sep 18, 2011
- Pak flood relief: China offers additional 30mn dollars, more troops and choppers - Sep 07, 2010
- Pak needs "accountable, civilian-led democracy" for stability: UN chief - Oct 16, 2010
- Pakistan asks US for help to solve energy crisis - Aug 17, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,