Pak to free 89 Indian prisoners on FridayApril 13th, 2011 - 7:34 am ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Apr. 13 (ANI): The Pakistan Government has announced that it will release 89 Indian prisoners, including fishermen, as a goodwill gesture aimed at boosting ties between the two countries.
A Geo News report said the list of prisoners to be released includes inmates that India wanted freed.
It quoted a Foreign Office (FO) statement as saying on Tuesday that the freed Indian prisoners would be handed over to Indian authorities on April 15 (Friday).
On April 11, India had released 39 Pakistani prisoners, including two women, less than a week after an Indian who had been jailed in Pakistan for 27 years, was freed.
The 39 Pakistanis were escorted to the Wagah border checkpost on the outskirts of Amritsar and allowed to crossover into Lahore.
Before their release, the prisoners had been lodged in eight separate prisons on charges of either overstaying their visa or illegally crossing into India.
Monday’s release of prisoners is being viewed as another confidence-building measure between the governments of the two countries.
The prisoners said that they were happy to return to their homeland after completing their respective prison sentences. They said that the two governments must take steps to free the prisoners of each country who had completed their sentences. They also called for making the Indian subcontinent one again after over 60 years of partition. They said that such a step would promote peace, brotherhood, love and stability. (ANI)
- India frees 39 Pakistan prisoners at Wagah - Apr 11, 2011
- Pakistan releases 180 Indian prisoners (Lead) - Jan 07, 2012
- Surjeet home after 30 years, says he was a spy (Roundup) - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan frees 311 Indian prisoners - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan to free 89 Indian prisoners - Apr 13, 2011
- Pakistan to release 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 11, 2011
- Pakistan frees 55 Indian fishermen - Aug 15, 2012
- Pakistan frees 100 Indian fishermen - Aug 30, 2010
- Pak releases 89 Indian fishermen - Apr 15, 2011
- 761 Pakistanis in Indian jails: Report - Feb 15, 2011
- India releases 20 Pakistani prisoners at Wagah check post - Mar 01, 2011
- Pakistan frees 89 Indian prisoners - Apr 14, 2011
- Pakistan frees 100 more Indian fishermen - Sep 02, 2010
- Surjeet is home, after 30 years in Pakistan prison (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- We don't spy on neighbours, asserts India (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: amritsar, brotherhood, confidence building, fishermen, foreign office, geo news, goodwill gesture, indian authorities, indian prisoners, indian subcontinent, inmates, islamabad, lahore, news report, outskirts, pakistan government, pakistanis, prison sentences, prisons, wagah border