Pak Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud’s aide arrested in KarachiFebruary 23rd, 2011 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Feb 23(ANI): Pakistani police have reportedly arrested five militants, including a close aide of Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP) leader Baitullah Mehsud and a Lashkar-e-Jhangvi member, in Karachi.
According to the Daily Times, an Anti Extremists Cell (AEC) of the Crime Investigation Department (CID) arrested the alleged TTP member and recovered a TT pistol from his possession.
Sindh Police official Umar Shahid said on a tip-off, an AEC team conducted a raid at an area in Sohrab Goth, and arrested Alauddin Barki, who was named in CID’s Red Book List.
He said that other arrested criminals were involved in over 18 cases of robbery, kidnapping for ransom, police encounter and other crimes.
Mehsud had formed the TTP from an alliance of about five militant groups in December 2007.
He is thought by U.S. military analysts to have commanded up to 5,000 fighters, and to have been behind numerous terror attacks in Pakistan, including the assassination of former Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto. (ANI)
- Two TTP terrorists, would-be teen suicide bomber, arrested in Karachi - Oct 26, 2010
- Lashkar-i-Jhangvi behind Karachi CID building attack: Rehman Malik - Nov 12, 2010
- Taliban militants planning attack on Karachi arrested - Nov 30, 2010
- Karachi CID building attack underscores Pak jihadi groups' capability to "strike at will" - Nov 12, 2010
- Terrorist groups may target Pak' special police units : Report - May 03, 2009
- 'Saudi charity funding pro al-Qaeda terror outfits in Pak' - Sep 14, 2009
- Pak police arrest three suspected terrorists in Lahore - Mar 07, 2011
- Pakistan nabs Taliban leader's close aide - Apr 13, 2009
- Terrorist arrested for Sri Lankan team attack in Lahore - Nov 30, 2010
- UN medical team attacked in Pakistan - Jul 17, 2012
- Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud's brother killed in Pak - Nov 01, 2010
- Pentagon closely monitoring Pakistan situation - Oct 19, 2009
- Pak Taliban confirms American consulate bombing mastermind's death - Mar 03, 2010
- Musharraf charged with providing Baitullah with 'opportunity to murder Benazir' - Feb 12, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban issues video of ISI spy's execution - Feb 20, 2011
Tags: aec, baitullah mehsud, barki, benazir bhutto, crime investigation department, extremists, former prime minister, goth, lashkar, militant groups, militants, military analysts, pakistani police, police encounter, police official, ransom police, robbery, taliban leader, terror attacks, ttp