Pak Taliban chief Mehsud claims responsibility for New York shoot-outApril 4th, 2009 - 2:29 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr.4 (ANI): Tehreek-e-Taliban chief Baitullah Mehsud has claimed responsibility for the attack on an immigration center in New York which left 13 people dead, Sky News reported.
Mehsud called an international news agency from an undisclosed location and claimed that the Taliban was behind Friday’s shootout where Chinese American gunman killed 14 people and wounded 40 others.
Mehsud said the strike was in retaliation to the US-led drone attacks inside Pakistan along the Afghan border.
He had threatened to carry out ’spectacular’ attack on the US while claiming responsibility for Manawan police training academy strike.
However, New York Police have identified the gunman as 41-year-old Jiverly Wong, a former IBM employee. Binghamton Police Chief Joseph Zikuski said the rampage “obviously was premeditated” and began with the shooting of two receptionists.
Zikuski said 37 people were rescued from the building, and four of them were wounded and in critical condition. More than two dozen had hid in a boiler room until police said it was safe to come out.
Wong was later found dead by the SWAT team with a self-inflicted gunshot wound in an office.
Earlier, it was also revealed that Pakistan is secretly providing intelligence inputs to US forces for carrying out drone strikes against Mehsud.
A senior Pak intelligence official said the US Army and Pakistan military have agreed to carry out strikes on Mehsud’s hideout and terror camps along the ungoverned Pak-Afghan border area. (ANI)
- FBI rejects Baitullah's claim on New York terror attack - Apr 04, 2009
- Taliban says US will 'pay heavily' for drone attacks in Pak - Apr 07, 2009
- No terrorist group behind New York shootout: Police - Apr 05, 2009
- Pakistan providing inputs to US to carry out drone strike on Mehsud - Apr 04, 2009
- Gunman on rampage in New York kills 13, shoots himself (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- Chinese American gunman kills 13, self in New York immigration center - Apr 04, 2009
- US rejects Taliban claim for NYK attack - Apr 04, 2009
- Pakistani Taliban leader possibly killed in U.S. drone strike - Jan 16, 2012
- Pak Army admits majority of US drone attack casualties were terrorists, foreigners - Mar 09, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban claims responsibility for US shootout (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- Mass shootings have claimed hundreds of lives in US - Aug 14, 2012
- Pakistan Taliban chief Hakimullah Mehsud is alive: ISI - Apr 29, 2010
- US drone strike kills seven in Pak's tribal belt near Afghan border - Nov 16, 2010
- Sit-in against Pakistan drone strikes - Feb 26, 2012
- US drones kill over 50 Taliban in Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 24, 2009
Tags: afghan border, baitullah mehsud, boiler room, border area, chief joseph, chinese american, claiming responsibility, claims responsibility, critical condition, immigration center, intelligence official, new york police, pakistan military, police training academy, receptionists, self inflicted gunshot wound, sky news, spectacular attack, swat team, undisclosed location