Pak Supreme Court to hear Sarabjeet’s petition on June 22June 20th, 2009 - 1:42 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, June 20 (ANI): The Pakistan Supreme Court (SC) would hear the review petitions filed by Manjeet Singh alias Sarabjeet Singh, against the death sentence awarded to him for his alleged involvement in three bomb blasts, on Monday, June 22.
Singh, a resident of Amritsar, was arrested near the Kasur border in Pakistan in August 1990.
Pakistan security agencies said that Singh had admitted that he was sent to Pakistan to carry out serial bomb blasts in Lahore, Faislabad, and Kasur, and was trained by the Indian Army, and the Research and Analysis Wing (RAW).
Singh was awarded the death sentence by a Lahore anti-terrorism court in October 1991.
He challenged the verdict in the Supreme Court, however, the apex court quashed his appeal in September, 2005, saying that the review petition was not filed within the time period as mentioned in the law.
In March 2006, a two member Supreme Court bench dismissed Singh’s petition against his conviction in the Lahore’s Yakki Gate bomb blast in 1990.
Singh has been languishing in Pakistan jails for the last 28 years, as Pakistan has denied setting him free, despite continuous efforts by the Indian diplomatic channels. (ANI)
- Sarabjit Singh's death sentence 'stayed' by Musharraf govt, says Zardari's office - Aug 09, 2010
- Will Sarabjeet be spared the gallows under Pak Govt.'s plans to commute death sentences? - Sep 18, 2009
- A ray of hope for the Sarabjit Singh from Pakistan's apex court (Lead) - Jun 21, 2009
- Pak death row inmate Sarabjit Singh's mercy plea forwarded to Zardari - Jul 09, 2009
- Sarabjit Singh's review petition quashed following failure of lawyer to attend - Jun 24, 2009
- Pak death row inmate Sarabjit Singh files fresh application in Supreme Court - Jul 22, 2009
- Petition filed in Pak Supreme Court for reopening, re-adjudication of Sarabjit case - Mar 06, 2011
- New Delhi urges Islamabad to show sympathy to Sarabjeet Singh - Jun 25, 2009
- Chisti may meet Sarabjit in Pakistan - May 11, 2012
- Pakistan SC rejects Sarabjit Singh's mercy plea - Jun 24, 2009
- Is arrested conman behind Pakistan blasts blamed on Sarabjit? - Dec 17, 2010
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- The 'real' Sarabjit has been arrested, claims family - Dec 16, 2010
- Akali Dal youth wing demands Govt's help for Sarbjit Singh - Jun 25, 2009
Tags: 28 years, alias, apex, apex court, bomb blast, bomb blasts, continuous efforts, conviction, death sentence, diplomatic channels, faislabad, indian army, islamabad, jails, pakistan supreme court, petition, security agencies, supreme court bench, time period, yakki