Pak soldier killed in border clash with Afghan troopsFebruary 3rd, 2011 - 12:42 pm ICT by ANI
Miranshah, Feb 3(ANI): A Pakistani soldier was killed and three others wounded in a clash with Afghan forces on the Pak-Afghan border, Pakistani officials said.
The clash took place in the Ghulam Khan area in Pakistan’s North Waziristan region- an area considered to be a safe haven for the al-Qaeda and the Taliban.
It is the most serious cross-border clash between the two countries since May 2007 when three civilians and a policeman were killed, the BBC quoted correspondents, as saying.
Officials of both countries accused each other of starting the firing on Wednesday.
“At around 1100 [0630 GMT] on Wednesday, Pakistani troops in Waziristan started firing heavy and light weapons towards police posts in Gurbuz district. Our soldiers returned fire,” a border police commander in Afghanistan’s eastern province of Khost told a news agency.
“Their attack was completely unprovoked and without reason. The fighting is still continuing, there [have not] been casualties on our side,” the commander added.
But a Pakistani military official in the nearby city of Peshawar gave an entirely different version of the incident.
He told the news agency that “Afghan forces fired several mortar shells on one of our military check posts, leaving one soldier dead and injuring three others”.
“We fired in retaliation,” the officials said, adding, “Our troops are using artillery and mortars.”
Afghanistan and Pakistan are routinely at loggerheads over border security, accusing each other of allowing militants to infiltrate the porous and mountainous border to carry out terror attacks.
Afghan and Western officials say the Taliban insurgency is sustained in Afghanistan because terrorists are able to operate from the sanctuaries in Pakistan’s tribal belt. (ANI)
- US drone strike kills seven in Pak's tribal belt near Afghan border - Nov 16, 2010
- NATO denies firing mortars into Pakistan - Sep 11, 2010
- US drone attack kills five suspected militants in North Waziristan - Mar 09, 2010
- Afghan forces attack Pak check post in South Waziristan - Apr 27, 2011
- We thought attackers were Taliban: Pakistani soldier - Nov 28, 2011
- US drone attack kills 22 suspected militants in North Waziristan - Mar 17, 2011
- Fresh U.S. drone strikes kill 4 people in North Waziristan - Aug 03, 2011
- Eight militants killed in Pakistan - Oct 04, 2011
- 80 Taliban killed in failed attack on NATO combat post in Afghanistan near Pak border - Oct 31, 2010
- Taliban tenacity, ineffective governance negating Pak army gains in S.Waziristan - Nov 20, 2010
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- Pakistani Taliban's infighting leaves six dead - Aug 29, 2010
- Afghanistan to probe NATO airstrike on Pakistan - Nov 28, 2011
- Three US drone strikes kill 11 suspected militants in North Waziristan - Jan 01, 2011
- Pakistan under pressure with US troops at Afghan border: Daily - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: afghan border, border clash, border police, check posts, eastern province, ghulam khan, khost, light weapons, military official, mortar shells, mountainous border, nearby city, north waziristan, pakistani officials, pakistani troops, police commander, police posts, tribal belt, waziristan region, western officials