Pak Sikhs give in to Taliban pressure, decide to pay jazia instead of leaving KyberJune 3rd, 2009 - 12:50 pm ICT by ANI
Landikotal (Pakistan), June 3 (ANI): The Sikh community living in Pakistan’s Khyber Agency has succumbed to Taliban pressure, and have agreed to pay Jazia tax to the ensure safety of their families.
On Monday, the Bara-based Lashkar-e-Islam (LeI) had warned non-Muslim communities in Bara, Chora, Karamna, Bazaar Zakhakhel and Tirah Valley of Khyber Agency to pay jazia or leave the agency, The News reports.
Following the warning from the LeI, Sikhs, Hindus and Christians agreed to pay the tax instead of leaving the region, where they have been residing for decades.
According to sources, several jirgas were held to settle the issue of jazia. Finally, a decision was taken at a jirga attended by the leaders and elders of the Sikh, Hindu and Christian communities in Tirah Valley.
There minority communities have agreed to pay 1,000 rupees per head annually.
Only women, children and handicapped persons have been exempted from paying this tax. (ANI)
- Sikhs in Pakistan seek compensation for terror losses - Feb 07, 2011
- Beheading of Sikh in Pakistan condemned in India (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- SGPC, Punjab government condemn Sikh beheading in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Zardari denounces beheading of Sikh in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Beheaded body of a Sikh found in Pakistan - Feb 22, 2010
- Beheaded body of a Sikh found in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- Two govt-run schools blown up in northwest Pakistan - Mar 05, 2011
- Militants ambush Pakistani troops, killing 9 soldiers - Oct 18, 2011
- Pakistan's military failures emboldening terrorists to launch more attacks - Sep 23, 2010
- Sikhs, Hindus protest outside Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi - May 20, 2009
- Pakistani forces demolish militant outfit's headquarters - Sep 05, 2009
- New polio cases in Pakistan alarms WHO - Jun 10, 2012
- Protests in Kashmir over atrocities against Sikhs in Pakistan - May 15, 2009
- Six die in Pakistan bombing (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- Did abducted Sikh youths 'escape' Taliban's captivity or 'rescued' by Pak military? - Mar 02, 2010
Tags: 1 000 rupees, bazaar, chora, christian communities, christians, decades, elders, hindu, hindus, islam, jirga, june 3, khyber agency, minority communities, muslim communities, pakistan, sikh community, sikhs, taliban, tirah