Pak Senate declines funds for submarines purchaseMarch 12th, 2011 - 12:48 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar 12(ANI): The Pakistan Senate Standing Committee on Defence and Defence Production has rejected recommendations for buying submarines owing to the country facing an economic crunch.
According to The Nation, the in-camera meeting of the committee stressed on acquiring local defence products.
Earlier, the committee was briefed about the purchase of equipments and machinery for the armed forces.
Briefing the committee, a defence ministry official said the fourth frigate, which was produced domestically, would be handed over to the Pakistan Navy in June.
The committee was further informed that the production of Fast Missile Carrier Crafts (FMCC) was also in process.
Talking to media persons after the meeting, Senator Lieutenant-General (retired) Javid Ashraf Qazi, the chairman of the committee, said the Pakistan Navy was instructed to plan its schemes in view of its needs for the next 25 years. (ANI)
- Indian frigate sails for sea trials in Russia - May 24, 2012
- Russian-built, BrahMos-fitted frigate set for Indian Navy induction - Dec 16, 2011
- India launches second home-built stealth warship (Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Pak to get 30-yr-old 65 mln dollar US warship 'free of cost' - Apr 27, 2010
- D.K. Joshi named new Indian Navy chief (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Brand new Indian Navy with long legs by 2027: Admiral Verma - Dec 02, 2011
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
- India, Turkey navy wargames begin Sunday - Jul 07, 2011
- Pakistan rejects reports about obtaining French submarines - Aug 30, 2009
- Britain wants sea drones to attack submarines - Aug 03, 2012
- Russia completes final trials of Indian frigate - Feb 08, 2012
- Russia to increase defence spending by 60 percent - Jul 30, 2010
- Indian Navy to majorly increase combat capabilities - Dec 01, 2010
- Russia behind schedule on Indian frigates delivery - Jul 02, 2011
- Pakistan Navy tests missile - Mar 12, 2010
Tags: armed forces, ashraf qazi, crafts, defence ministry, defence production, defence products, economic crunch, frigate, lieutenant general, media persons, ministry official, missile, pakistan navy, senate standing committee, submarines