Pak security forces gun down 16 Taliban in BajaurSeptember 21st, 2008 - 4:49 pm ICT by ANI
Khar (Pak), Sept 21 (ANI): Pakistan security forces claimed to have killed at least 16 members of the Pakistan unit of the Taliban, the Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), in fierce gunbattles in Bajaur Agency over the past 24 hours.
Helicopter gunships and artillery were used in the fresh clashes that erupted late on Friday, while five fighters were killed in a gunbattle early on Saturday near Shakai village, the Daily Times quoted a security official as saying.
The other deaths occurred overnight in nearby villages, he said.
The casualty figure could not be independently verified. Residents said that reinforcements, including a large number of fresh troops and tanks had arrived in Bajaur.
Meanwhile, according to the paper, security forces continued shelling Taliban positions in various areas of Kabal and Matta tehsils in Swat on Saturday, though there were no reports of casualties.
Locals said security forces destroyed several houses owned by Taliban in Kooza Bandai area of Kabal. Taliban blew up a health centre in Odigram area. There were no casualties.
Residents of Kabal, Matta and Khwazakhela are facing serious problems due to suspended power supply after transmission lines were damaged in the forces shelling in Kooza Bandai. (ANI)
- 18 militants killed in army operation in Pakistan - Aug 30, 2012
- Two Pakistani Taliban leaders killed - Sep 02, 2012
- 15 Taliban killed as Pak troops target their hideouts in Bajaur - Oct 21, 2008
- The Taliban are back to spread terror in Pak army 'sanitized' Bajaur Agency - Jun 16, 2010
- Suicide bomber kills 20, injures 42 near Pakistani market - May 04, 2012
- Pakistani Taliban set up all-women suicide bombers wing - Dec 29, 2010
- 38 people killed, over 62 injured in Bajaur Agency suicide attack - Dec 25, 2010
- Seven soldiers killed in Pakistan - Mar 10, 2012
- 43 more Taliban killed as Pak forces continue to pound militants in FATA - Jun 23, 2010
- 33 insurgents killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- 20 Taliban killed, 10 hurt in Pak security forces Bajaur operation - Nov 08, 2008
- 27 killed after fighter jets bomb Taliban hideout in Swat - Oct 20, 2008
- Pak security forces kill seven militants in Swat - Apr 11, 2011
- 24 more militants killed in Swat military operation - May 08, 2009
- Nine militants killed in Pakistan air base attack (Third Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: artillery, casualties, clashes, fresh troops, gun down, gunbattle, health centre, helicopter gunships, kabal, khar, nearby villages, reinforcements, security forces, security official, several houses, shakai, swat, taliban, transmission lines, ttp