Pak presidential election on Sept 6August 22nd, 2008 - 2:37 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Aug. 22 (ANI): The Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) has a short while ago announced that the next presidential election will be held on Sept. 6. The need for the election arose after the resignation of Pervez Musharraf on Monday
Election Commission Secretary Kanwar Dilshad said the nomination paper will be received from Aug. 26, and the polling will take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sept 6 at provincial and national assemblies simultaneously, a Pakistani TV channel quoted Dilshad as saying.
Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf announced his resignation on Monday, and as per the Pakistani Constitution the presidential election has to be held within 30 days of the vacation of the post.
The electoral college for the presidential election includes the four provincial assemblies, the National Assembly and the Senate.
Pakistan’’s ruling parties have not yet reached a consensus on presidential candidacy, but reports said Pakistan People’’s Party (PPP) Co-chairman Asif Ali Zardari is poised to be the presidential candidate. (ANI)
- Pakistan to hold presidential election Sept 6 - Aug 22, 2008
- Pakistani politicians told to submit asset details - Aug 13, 2012
- Pak women MPs wealthier than their male colleagues - Oct 11, 2010
- 67 Pakistani politicians hold fake degrees: Report - Oct 14, 2010
- Musharraf going to UAE to plot possible political comeback? - Mar 22, 2010
- Gilani convicted for contempt, opposition wants him out (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- By-elections to seven seats relief for Congress in Andhra - Feb 17, 2012
- Pakistani court orders confiscation of Musharraf's assets - Aug 28, 2011
- Nawaz Sharif extends deadline on judges' restoration - Aug 22, 2008
- Some want to delay senate polls: Gilani - Feb 04, 2012
- Pakistani apex court suspends 28 lawmakers, two ministers - Feb 06, 2012
- Pakistan to screen degrees of government staff - Feb 06, 2011
- Pakistani PM faces possibility of disqualification: court - May 09, 2012
- 14 Pakistani MPs disqualified over fake degrees - Jun 23, 2010
- Three candidates in Pakistan's presidential race - Aug 30, 2008
Tags: asif ali zardari, commission secretary, dilshad, election commission of pakistan, national assemblies, next presidential election, nomination paper, pervez musharraf, presidential candidacy, provincial assemblies