Pak netizens post more data to Google Map Maker than other 160 country counterpartsMay 23rd, 2009 - 6:07 pm ICT by ANI
Silicon Valley (California), May 23 (ANI): Pakistan netizens are posting more localized information and data to the Google’s ‘map maker’ than the web users of any of the 160 countries which are using the leading internet search engine’s experiment.
Lalit Katragadda, the founder of Map Maker software informed that a particular Pakistani based in London has posted most frequent edits to the Google’s Map Maker, which is a user-operated software.
Katragadda, who is based in Bangalore, told The Nation via teleconference that the software updates information instantly after a user sitting anywhere in the world within 160 countries posts an edit to the live Map Maker.
When questions were put forth regarding the authenticity of the data provided by any of the net users, Katragadda said it can always be verified by the software.
“We can always verify from authentic as well as independent sources within an hour’s time,” he added.
Any such experiment related to a country’s geographical territory can always be a sensitive issue, and could have some implications, but the Google’s Map Maker had not come across any political issues till now.
“We have not faced any political issues so far,” Katragadda said. (ANI)
- Google told to get clearance for Bangalore street view - Jun 21, 2011
- Google relying on user data to map Indian cities - Feb 16, 2011
- Most Chinese feel Internet a major source of rumours - Sep 09, 2011
- Now websites can track your IP address - Apr 25, 2011
- Googles Map Maker set to showcase India in microscopic detail - Oct 04, 2008
- Jantakhoj.com lists records of nearly 40 percent of Indian population - Oct 07, 2010
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- China launches own Google mapping service - Oct 22, 2010
- Court issues notice over taxing internet-based firms (Second Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Google buys Quickoffice - Jun 06, 2012
- China launches online map service - Oct 22, 2010
- Google to add Thailand to Street View - Sep 02, 2011
- Google revamps to keep 'low-quality' sites at bay - Feb 26, 2011
- How natural disasters, political unrest affect Internet usage - Apr 05, 2011
- Now, an iPhone app to find parking spots! - Feb 27, 2011
Tags: authenticity, counterparts, geographical territory, google, independent sources, internet search engine, lalit, london, maker software, map maker, netizens, pakistan, sensitive issue, silicon valley, silicon valley california, software updates, teleconference, web users