Pak military says it was not forewarned about US strike on Bin LadenMay 3rd, 2011 - 2:16 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, May 3 (ANI): Pakistan’s military has said it hadn’t been forewarned about the U.S. strike on a compound in Abbottabad that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
Bin Laden was slain inside a sprawling compound in the heavily guarded town of Abbottabad, which is located 40 miles north of Islamabad. Abbotabad is home to Pakistan’s military academy and has as its residents active as well as retired Pakistani military personnel.
Pakistani officials initially claimed it was a joint raid, but after President Barack Obama stressed that it was solely an American operation, they went back on their previous statement, the Wall Street Journal reports.
“It should tell you a lot that we didn’t trust them to help us” take out bin Laden. You think about where he was living, and we didn’t want their help,” the WSJ quoted a senior American official, as saying.
In the wake of Osama’s death, and the way his elimination was effected, the US-Pakistan alliance could come unstuck, feel experts and analysts.
Pakistani officials are adamant that they weren’t hiding Bin Laden, and they acknowledge being embarrassed by the raid.
The future of their relationship with the U.S. now hinges on whether they have been sufficiently embarrassed to more aggressively pursue militants who use Pakistani territory as a haven for attacks at home, on U.S. and allied forces in neighboring Afghanistan and on civilian targets in the West. (ANI)
- 10 killed in U.S. drone attacks in northern Pakistan - May 17, 2011
- Osama's son killed in Pakistan - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan military didn't interact with US for two days - May 11, 2011
- Confusion persists on Pakistan role in Osama killing (Second Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Russian-made ammunition found in Osama's home - Mar 16, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif calls for independent probe of Osama killing - May 12, 2011
- Pakistan questions Osama widows, daughters - Oct 05, 2011
- CIA plotted to nab Osama bin Laden with fake vaccination drive - Jul 12, 2011
- Pakistani who helped CIA track down Osama faces treason charges - Oct 07, 2011
- Obama kept Pakistan in dark about Osama attack (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- US hardens stance against 'ally' Pakistan after Osama killing (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Osama resisted assault, was shot in the head - May 02, 2011
- Hamas condemns Al Qaeda leader's killing - May 03, 2011
- Did Pakistan know of US raid to kill Osama? - May 02, 2011
- Come out with truth on Osama raid: Pakistani daily - Aug 31, 2012
Tags: abbotabad, abbottabad, afghanistan, al qaeda, allied forces, barack obama, civilian targets, laden bin, militants, military academy, military personnel, osama bin laden, pakistan, pakistani officials, pakistani territory, qaeda leader, relationship, wall street, wall street journal, wsj