Pak, Israel on way to establish diplomatic ties?August 13th, 2010 - 2:28 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Aug 13(ANI): Pakistan and Israel are reportedly engaged in a series of covert talks to establish diplomatic links.
According to The Nation, Pakistani authorities, including a prominent politician belonging to a religious party, have been holding talks with Israeli authorities, which took place in Paris and London recently.
Meanwhile, some analysts believe that Pakistan was seriously thinking about a diplomatic connection with Israel after Turkey recognized her.
“This is the first step towards eventual recognition of Israel,” the paper quoted an analyst, as saying.
They also pointed out two immediate benefits that Pakistan might be seeking from its change of policy.
By moving towards a formal recognition of Israel, Pakistan can thus gain entry into an elite club - currently comprising US, India and Israel - with common security perceptions vis-a-vis the Middle East and South Asia.
The second reason relates to Pakistan’s defence policy and weapons requirements, they said.
However, the Pakistan Foreign Office has vehemently denied that any such meeting had taken place.
FO spokesperson Abdul Basit said that Pakistan’s policy towards Israel was very much clear and it was using no backdoor channel to establish links with Israel.Earlier, in 2005, the Foreign Ministers of the two countries had held talks for the first time.
However, following the meeting then-Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf had said that Pakistan would not recognise Israel until an independent Palestinian was established.
Musharraf had also said that eventually Pakistan would recognize Israel. (ANI)
- India should share Samjhauta Express blast probe with Pak without further delay: Basit - Jan 14, 2011
- Kashmir not an integral part of India: Pak - Sep 27, 2010
- Zardari visit: Pakistan hopes for peace; says no compromise on Kashmir - Apr 05, 2012
- China keen to avoid 'diplomacy issues' concerning India, Pakistan - Jun 24, 2012
- India taking tough line against China: analyst - Apr 10, 2012
- Pak would welcome NATO's pull out from Afghanistan: FO - Jul 09, 2010
- India must go for covert action in Pakistan: Book - Jul 27, 2012
- Ties with Israel can bring India-Pakistan closer: Musharraf - Jan 07, 2012
- Pakistan to review its foreign policy - Dec 09, 2011
- Is Pakistan heading towards global isolation, wonders daily - Dec 13, 2011
- PM, everyone pile on Ramesh for statement in Beijing (Lead) - May 10, 2010
- Pakistan addicted to playing around militant groups against India: Pentagon - Mar 29, 2012
- Pakistan calls off Sir Creek talks with India - May 10, 2012
- No arms to Afghanistan via Pakistan: Parliamentary panel - Apr 13, 2012
- Pak denies India's allegations over PoK terrorist training camps - Jul 01, 2010
Tags: common security, defence policy, diplomatic ties, elite club, foreign ministers, foreign office, formal recognition, independent palestinian, israeli authorities, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pakistani authorities, pervez musharraf, place fo, place in paris, politician, president pervez musharraf, religious party, security perceptions, South Asia, spokesperson