Pak human right groups protest against teenaged girl’s flogging by TalibanApril 4th, 2009 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
Peshawar, Apr. 4 (ANI): Pakistan based human rights groups and civil society activists have lodged protest against the flogging of a 17-year-old girl by the Taliban in Swat.
“I was crying when I saw the footage on various TV channels. I was helpless. It’s a shameful and inhuman act,” the Daily Times quoted Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP) NWFP Vice Chairwoman Musarrat Hilali, as saying.
The HRCP is observing a countrywide protest on Saturday.
Demanding action against Taliban that committed ‘an insult to women’, human right activists also urged female members of the National Assembly and provincial assemblies to resign in protest.
Shabina Ayaz, the resident director of Aurat Foundation in Peshawar, condemned the flogging, and said civil society organisations are holding protests on Saturday.
“The violators of human rights had no right to flog a teenager in public and that too without any proof,” said Shabina.
The executive director of Noor Education Trust, Zubaida Noor, expressed shock after learning about the flogging of the teenaged girl.
“This is complete distortion of Islam. It’s not Islamic,” Noor said, adding it was time for everyone to take a firm stand against such inhuman acts and lodge their protest.
She demanded the government bring all facts before the public, and she also objected to TV channels policy of repeatedly showing the footage. (ANI)
- 'Anna wears a Gandhi cap but thinks like Taliban' - Nov 23, 2011
- Taliban disrupts work at Pak's NADRA office - Apr 04, 2009
- Meghalaya's social activists condemn Hazare's arrest - Aug 17, 2011
- Belarus urged to release political prisoners - Dec 19, 2011
- Molestation of teen sparks national outrage; four held (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- 'Shariat Court verdict seeking reversal of provisions discriminatory against Pak women' - Dec 26, 2010
- Drone strikes are counter-productive: Gilani - May 02, 2011
- Man who 'kills humans like chickens' to replace Hakeemullah as Pak Taliban chief ? - Feb 06, 2010
- Four nabbed for molesting teenager in Guwahati (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- US drone attacks killed over 900 people in Pakistan in 2010: Report - Apr 14, 2011
- Imran Khan sets 30 days deadline over US drone strikes - Apr 25, 2011
- Ex-news channel journalist arrested in Guwahati molestation case (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Pakistan human rights commission urges release of missing journalist - May 31, 2011
- Molestation of teen sparks national outrage; four held (Intro Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- TV channels blanked out during Bangladesh rally - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: civil society activists, civil society organisations, education trust, female members, flogging, hilali, hrcp, human rights commission, human rights commission of pakistan, human rights groups, national assembly, nwfp, old girl, peshawar, provincial assemblies, resident director, shabina, tv channels, vice chairwoman, violators