Pak hard-core party’s women wing slams government’s ‘Safe Sex’ workshop for prostitutesAugust 12th, 2009 - 6:34 pm ICT by ANI
Karachi, Aug.12 (ANI): Pakistan’s oldest religious party, Jamat-e-Islami’s (JI) women and family wing has criticised the three-day workshop aimed at educating prostitutes to have safe sex .
The JI said the workshop, which was organized by Sindh AIDS Programme, Government of Sindh in collaboration with the United Nations (UN), was against the country’s culture, promoted obscenity and gave legitimacy to prostitution as a legalized profession.
JI’s women and family wing chairperson Atiya Nisar condemned the workshop, saying prostitution was a crime in Pakistan and women indulging in the illegal activity are liable to be punished under the Hudood Ordinance and Women Protection Bill.
“Prostitution is a crime. The question is why these women are being trained under government patronage to commit crime in a safe way. This is like training a robber to commit robbery in a safe way,” The News quoted Nisar, as saying.
She blamed the government of legalizing prostitution in the country, as about 70 prostitutes were invited in the workshop and were trained about safe sex.
“Instead of teaching safe sex, the government should give them vocational training so that they could earn their livelihood with dignity,” Nisar said. (ANI)
- Pakistani court asks parties to expel criminals - Oct 06, 2011
- Poverty, not pleasure, forces women into prostitution: Court - Feb 14, 2011
- Federation of Muslim educational institutes launched - Mar 12, 2011
- JI to launch nation wide protest against India's involvement in Baloch insurgency - Dec 03, 2009
- Supreme Court directs Centre, States to rehabilitate prostitutes - Feb 14, 2011
- Petraeus can't save US from defeat in Afghanistan: Jamat-e-Islami - Apr 30, 2011
- Not encouraging the sex trade, says SC - Jul 27, 2012
- French minister seeks end of prostitution in Europe - Jun 23, 2012
- Nawaz sees conspiracies in Pakistan apex court's defiance - Mar 25, 2012
- Pak Interior Minister is an India, US agent: Jamaat chief - Mar 28, 2011
- PML-N would continue its struggle for Musharraf's trial inside, outside parliament: Khan - Aug 21, 2009
- Jailed Islamists engage British lawyers - Feb 06, 2011
- Prosecutors may widen Berlusconi sex probe - Feb 08, 2011
- Congress raps CPI-M for questioning its secular credentials - Jun 02, 2010
- RAW, MOSAD fuelling sectarian violence in Pakistan: former JI chief - Jul 05, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,