Pak Govt “caught between devil and deep sea” on Davis’ detention issue: GilaniFebruary 17th, 2011 - 11:45 am ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Feb 17(ANI): The Pakistan Government is “just caught between the devil and the deep sea” on double murder-accused US official Raymond Davis’ detention issue, Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani has candidly admitted.
“We are facing difficult decisions. There is a political price. If we take it then the people do not support and if we don’t do it the world does not support,” The Nation quoted Gilani, as saying.
“We are just caught between the devil and the deep sea. This needs wisdom. We will do whatever is in the interest of the country and the nation,” he added.
Speaking at the National Seerat Conference, Gilani said that the Davis issue was before the court, where evidence would have to be presented, and then the court would take any decision in the matter.
“The government has never asked the Foreign Ministry to write any summary on the issue and the Foreign Secretary has spelled out the government position, and it is now for courts to interpret these things,” the Prime Minister told Ulema and Mashaikh, who gathered at the conference from across the country.
“Had the government bowed before any pressure the US President Obama would have no need to come on television asking for Davis’ immunity,” he emphasised. (ANI)
- Pak Govt freeing Davis may be "last straw that breaks camel's back": Hilaly - Feb 18, 2011
- Pak Govt has decided to grant Davis diplomatic immunity to end row with US: Official - Feb 17, 2011
- Gilani rules out any "back-door solution" between Pak, US on Davis' immunity row - Mar 08, 2011
- Gilani hints at pardon by victims' family to murder-accused US official as solution - Feb 17, 2011
- Davis to have legal counsel during trial court proceedings in Pakistan: US Embassy - Mar 16, 2011
- PML-N accuses Pak Govt of playing 'double role' in murder-accused US diplomat's case - Feb 02, 2011
- Pak Govt to tell court Davis doesn't enjoy blanket immunity: Sources - Mar 13, 2011
- Inappropriate to hold one institution responsible for Davis' acquittal: Gilani - Mar 19, 2011
- Pak court extends double murder-accused US diplomat's remand till Feb 11 - Feb 03, 2011
- Davis case adjourned till March 14 after Pak FM seeks more time to reply on his status - Feb 17, 2011
- Court will decide double murder-accused US diplomat's fate, Zardari tells US - Feb 01, 2011
- Davis case mishandled by interior ministry: Qureshi (Lead) - Feb 24, 2011
- Pak politicians criticize Qureshi over his remarks on Raymond Davis - Feb 14, 2011
- Pak won't face any negative outcome if it doesn't free Davis despite US pressure: Gul - Feb 15, 2011
- US disappointed over Pak Govt's failure to certify Davis' diplomatic immunity status - Feb 18, 2011
Tags: deep sea, devil, difficult decisions, double murder, foreign ministry, government position, immunity, islamabad, obama, pakistan government, prime minister, raymond davis, raza, seerat, television, ulema, wisdom