Pak features in US commission’s list of world’s most religious discriminatory countriesMay 2nd, 2009 - 5:02 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, May 2 (ANI): The United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) has listed Pakistan as a ‘country of particular concern’.
The list includes name of such countries where the governments have been unable or unwilling to counter religious violence, and discriminate against people on religious basis.
With Pakistan’s name also featuring in the list, it now joins countries like Iran Iran, Iraq, China, North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Sudan and Vietnam, as being the world’s biggest and worst violators of religious freedom and human rights.
The commission, which is funded by the US Government, also states in its report that Pakistan’s intelligence services maintain deep relations and provide logistical support to the Taliban and other violent extremist groups, such as the Lashkar-e-Taiyaba (LeT).
The report also has quotes some unnamed Pakistani and international experts who have put a stamp on the nefarious connection.
One of the major and disturbing facts that the report mentions, is about the involvement of madrassas in catering to the needs of the terrorist groups.
“Many madrassas in Pakistan provide ongoing ideological training and motivation to those who take part in violence targeting religious minorities in Pakistan and abroad,” the Daily Times quoted the report, as stating.
The report also highlights that there is still no government control on the sources of funding of the madrassas. (ANI)
- US concerned over religious freedom in Russia - Mar 21, 2012
- Pakistani schools portray Hindus, minorities negatively: US study - Nov 10, 2011
- India placed on US 'watch list' on religious freedom - Apr 29, 2010
- China criticises US report on religious freedom - Jul 31, 2012
- India respects religious freedom: US report - Jul 31, 2012
- US body accuses India of failing to protect minorities - Aug 13, 2009
- US worried over rising extremism, intolerance in Pakistan - Sep 14, 2011
- Pak in list of US panel's list of 13 violators of religious freedom - Apr 30, 2010
- Religious intolerance on rise in South Asia: Report - Jul 01, 2010
- India on US 'watch list' on religious freedom (Lead) - Aug 13, 2009
- India slams US body's criticism on religious freedom - Aug 13, 2009
- Eritrea tops list of 10 most censored nations - May 04, 2012
- 18,000 registered madrassas in Pakistan - Sep 13, 2011
- US critical on religious freedom in Russia - Jul 31, 2012
- India on religious freedom 'watch list': State Department avoids comment - Aug 15, 2009
Tags: extremist groups, government control, intelligence services, international experts, international religious freedom, iran iran, lashkar, logistical support, madrassas, minorities in pakistan, north korea, religious basis, religious minorities, religious violence, saudi arabia, sources of funding, terrorist groups, united states commission, uscirf, violators