Pak connection to Canada’s terror ‘Operation Samosa’August 31st, 2010 - 4:43 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Aug 31(ANI): Pakistani intelligence agencies had reportedly played a crucial role in foiling a major Al-Qaeda plot in Canada, which led to the arrest of three suspected terrorists earlier this month.
According to The Daily Times, Pakistani agencies had tipped off their Canadian counterparts, who then launched ‘Operation Samosa’, one of the biggest clandestine efforts in the history of Canada.
The operation culminated in the arrest of Misbahuddin Ahmed, Hiva Alizadeh and Dr. Khurram Sher from Ontario on August 18.
“An intensive investigation is continuing inside Pakistan about the alleged links of at least one of the suspects with terrorist groups in Pakistan and his multiple visits to Pakistan over the years,” the newspaper quoted an official source, as saying.
“The ringleader of the terror plot travelled to the area located on the Pak-Afghan border to receive weapons training,” he added.
Another diplomat said that “the plot ranged from Canada to Iran, Afghanistan, Dubai and Pakistan and that the terrorists are linked to a group in Afghanistan”.
The three men have now been charged with “conspiracy to knowingly facilitate a terrorist activity”.
It is the second major terror plot to be unearthed in Canada since 9/11.
Earlier, in June 2006, a group of young Muslim men dubbed as ‘Toronto 18′ were rounded up and prosecuted for planning to attack downtown targets and a military base. (ANI)
- Jihad, Taliban, floods, and now Operation 'Samosa' sends Pak Interior Ministry in panic - Sep 01, 2010
- Indian, Canadian Idol contestant held in Al Qaeda terror plot (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
- Canadian parliament was target of terror plot - Aug 28, 2010
- Popular online forum urges members not to talk about Canada terror plot accused - Aug 29, 2010
- Canadian police arrests fourth suspect in terrorist plot - Aug 28, 2010
- Pakistani-origin terror suspect freed in Canada - Oct 14, 2010
- Al-Qaeda terror plot in Canada traced to Pak-Af, Iran - Aug 27, 2010
- Al Qaeda terror plot in Canada traced back to Pakistan, Iran (Lead) - Aug 27, 2010
- UK terror suspect's acquaintances express shock, found him a "nice person" - Aug 27, 2010
- Indian linked to new Al-Qaeda plot unearthed in Canada - Aug 26, 2010
- Canada blacklists Pakistan Taliban - Jul 06, 2011
- Terror plot targeting 2014 Sochi Olympics foiled - May 10, 2012
- Canadian terror plot leader pleads guilty - May 11, 2010
- Four jailed in Denmark for Mumbai-style terror plot - Jun 04, 2012
- Canada gets tough on terror, hikes jail terms in Toronto plot - Dec 18, 2010
Tags: afghan border, ahmed, al qaeda, alizadeh, canadian counterparts, diplomat, history of canada, intensive investigation, islamabad, khurram, military base, muslim men, pakistani intelligence agencies, ringleader, sher, terror plot, terrorist activity, terrorist groups, three men, weapons training