Pak Army to penalise corrupt generals involved in 1.8-bn-rupee scandalMarch 21st, 2011 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar 21(ANI): Pakistan’s military leadership has shown its willingness to penalise generals involved in the 1.8-billion-rupee corruption scandal at the army-owned National Logistics Cell (NLC).
Parliamentary Public Accounts Committee (PAC) Chairman Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan said that he had received assurances from the highest levels of the military command that the “defining decision will be taken in line with PAC recommendations.”
The Auditor-General had discovered that the former management team at the NLC took commercial loans worth 4.8 billion rupees for the corporation, and made investments against government regulations.
Two inter-departmental committees formed to investigate the matter determined that three army officials and a civilian chief financial officer “contravened all government rules” and even violated former Prime Minister Shaukat Aziz’s instructions.
The PAC rejected one report and endorsed the other, which recommended administrative action against the generals and an attempt to recover the amount lost.
The military leaders at the General Headquarters (GHQ) have committed to taking action against involved officials, but they cannot recover the 1.8 billion rupees, The Express Tribune quoted an official, who was formerly involved in the inquiry, as saying.
The General Headquarters may instead impose other unspecified penalties, the official added. (ANI)
- Kayani orders probe into multi-billion rupee NLC scam implicating army officers - Nov 24, 2010
- 3 ex-Musharraf-era Pak generals in soup over 4-billion-rupee stock exchange scam - Oct 20, 2010
- Two Pakistan Army generals caught in Rs.75 mn loan scam - Nov 03, 2010
- Pakistan Army slapped with Rs.120 bn `bill' for using stadium - Jan 21, 2011
- Pakistan Army chief orders probe into financial scam - Nov 24, 2010
- Action sought against Pakistan army officers for $1.4 bn fraud - Jun 11, 2011
- Three former Pakistani generals accused of fraud - Oct 30, 2009
- PCB told to learn financial management from BCCI - Nov 23, 2009
- Three Pakistani ex-generals face probe for Rs.1.82 bn loss - Jul 02, 2011
- Three ex-generals face probe for corruption - Jun 26, 2011
- Pakistan collects one trillion rupees as taxes in nine months - Apr 02, 2011
- Pak security forces kill two militants involved in GHQ attack - Feb 20, 2010
- Massive scam behind woeful condition of 33 cricket grounds costing 65 ml rupees in Pak? - Dec 12, 2009
- Power supply to railway station disconnected - Oct 22, 2011
- Act against corrupt ex-generals: Pakistani daily - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: administrative action, ali khan, army officials, auditor general, chaudhry, commercial loans, corruption scandal, departmental committees, former prime minister, general headquarters, ghq, government rules, military command, military leadership, national logistics, nisar, pac chairman, pak army, public accounts committee, shaukat aziz