Pak Army still struggling to gain full control over BunerMay 21st, 2009 - 2:54 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, May 21 (ANI): The Pakistan Army is still trying to assert its full control in the NWFP’s Buner District.
The security forces have failed to completely flush out the Taliban from the region.
According to a BBC report, fighting continues in two villages and the area is effectively a war zone. Many areas are deserted and a majority of the people have left for safer places.
Security forces have claimed that they have arrested foreign militants in Malakand.
They arrested have been identified as Arabs, Afghans and Afghan Uzbeks.
“They have been arrested from different parts of Malakand Division and are being interrogated,” said ISPR Director-General Major General Athar Abbas.
Major General Abbas claimed that 1,057 extremists have been killed by the security since the military operation in Swat, Dir and Buner region was initiated in April. (ANI)
- Pakistan deploys army to stop cross-border attacks - Oct 19, 2011
- TNSM has no control over Taliban's splinter groups: ISPR - Apr 27, 2009
- Pak Army exercising restraint during Buner operation: ISPR - Apr 30, 2009
- Pak Army launches aerial offensive on Taliban in Buner - Apr 29, 2009
- 44 Taliban insurgents killed as Pak forces continue offensive in Upper Orakzai - Jun 07, 2010
- Major successes against militants in 2009: Pakistan Army - Dec 31, 2009
- Pakistan deploys troops along Afghan border - Sep 13, 2011
- With three killings in 10 days Taliban haunts Swat Valley again - Apr 30, 2010
- Pakistan launches offensive against Taliban in Buner (Intro Roundup) - Apr 28, 2009
- Pakistani forces retake Lower Dir, Swat peace accord totters (Intro roundup) - Apr 27, 2009
- Radical cleric Sufi Muhammad's deputy killed in rescue bid (Lead) - Jun 06, 2009
- Afghanistan a safe haven for terrorists: Pakistan - Jul 15, 2011
- Senior army officer held in Pakistan - Jun 21, 2011
- Pak security forces kill 64 militants in Buner, Swat districts - May 06, 2009
- Locals, officials rebuff Pak Army's claims of successful conclusion to Orakzai offensive - Jun 03, 2010
Tags: abbas, afghans, arabs, athar, bbc report, buner, director general, extremists, foreign militants, islamabad, ispr, malakand, military operation, nwfp, pak army, pakistan army, security forces, swat, uzbeks, war zone