Pak Army rescues Razmak studentsJune 2nd, 2009 - 12:55 pm ICT by ANI
Miranshah (Pakistan), June 2 (ANI): Students and staff of Pakistan’s Razmak Cadet College, who were kidnapped on Monday by Taliban militants in Bannu region, have been rescued, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) spokesman has said.
The News quoted Sardar Abbas, Commissioner of Bannu region, as saying that the army and the Frontier Corps launched a joint operation 20 kilometre east of Razmak in Garium, and rescued at least 71 students and nine staff members of the cadet college.
Abbas added that police have also recovered 10 vehicles in the operations.
According to the military spokesman, Taliban militants were moving the hostages from North Waziristan to South Waziristan Agency.
It is still not clear that how many people were actually abducted.
This was earlier being touted as the biggest kidnapping in the history of Pakistan with more than 500 students feared to have been abducted.
It was reported that cadets were traveling in 33 vehicles and Taliban kidnapped them at Khajoori. Taliban were heavily armed and they were in 22 vehicles. (ANI)
- Abducted Swiss couple found in Pakistan (Lead) - Mar 15, 2012
- Pakistan's military recovers kidnapped cadets (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Hundreds of police trainees kidnapped in Pakistan, says report - Jun 01, 2009
- Cadets abducted in Pakistan's freed - Jun 04, 2009
- Pakistani police trainees released by abductors, say reports (Lead) - Jun 02, 2009
- Curfew clamped in Pakistan's North Waziristan - Jan 17, 2012
- Five troopers killed in Pakistan suicide bombing - Dec 24, 2011
- We have no concrete evidence of Indian hand in Waziristan: Pak - Oct 20, 2009
- US drone attack kills four in Pakistan - Nov 26, 2010
- Pak Taliban abduct, to punish 23 Mehsud tribesmen for meeting Gen Kayani - Dec 28, 2010
- 15 abducted Pakistani troopers killed - Jan 05, 2012
- Two Sikhs rescued from Taliban in Pak's Khyber Agency - Mar 01, 2010
- Kidnapped Swiss couple found in Pakistan - Mar 15, 2012
- Two hurt as rocket hits Pakistani journalist's home - Feb 05, 2012
- Kidnapped British journalist released in Pakistan (Lead, Changing dateline) - Sep 09, 2010
Tags: abbas, abducted, cadet college, cadets, frontier, history of pakistan, hostages, inter services, kilometre, militants, military spokesman, north waziristan, pak army, public relations, south waziristan agency, staff members, taliban