Pak Army gun down three suicide bombers in Khyber PakhtunkhwaJuly 20th, 2010 - 5:18 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, July 20 (ANI): Pakistan security forces shot down three suicide bombers on Tuesday while they were trying to force their way into an army centre in Mardan, situated 60 kilometres away from Peshawar, the capital city of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (formerly the North West Frontier Province, NWFP).
Four security guards were also injured in the ambush.
According to reports, two suicide attackers opened fire at the entry gate of the army centre but guards retaliated which resulted in the explosion of the suicide vests wore by the attackers.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but local officials believe that the attack was carried out by the Taliban, The Dawn reports.
Mardan, the second biggest in the province, has witnessed several attacks blamed on Taliban and other militant groups that have proliferated along Pakistan’s border with Afghanistan.
The Pakistan Army had declared the region safe claiming that the Taliban has been flushed out following an all out offensive against them, but the incident shows that the extremists are regrouping in the area. (ANI)
- UN chief condemns suicide bombing in Pakistan - Feb 11, 2011
- 27 die as `schoolboy' bomber targets Pakistan Army centre (Second Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- 27 killed as `schoolboy' bomber attacks Pakistan Army centre (Third Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- 14 killed as suicide bomber targets Pakistan Army centre (Lead) - Feb 10, 2011
- Five militants killed in Pakistan - Jul 20, 2010
- Pak Army not involved in human rights violations in Malakand, says Army General - Jul 29, 2010
- Nine dead in Pakistan suicide bombing (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Eight die in suicide bombing in Pakistan tunnel (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- 13 killed in blast at Peshawar funeral (Second Lead) - Mar 11, 2012
- Twin blasts rock Pakistan's tribal area - Jan 29, 2011
- Five cops injured in Peshawar suicide blast - Feb 16, 2012
- Female suicide bomber kills 44 in Pakistan (Fifth Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Pakistan Taliban claim responsibility for mosque attack - Nov 06, 2010
- Pak Taliban vows to continue targeting Pakistani security forces - Sep 07, 2010
- More blasts in Pakistan, three killed (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: afghanistan, ambush, dawn, explosion, extremists, frontier province, gun down, kilometres, militant groups, north west frontier, pak army, pakistan army, security forces, security guards, several attacks, suicide attackers, suicide bombers, taliban, vests