Pak aid bill critical to US security interests: HolbrookeJune 12th, 2009 - 12:09 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, June 12 (ANI): US Special Envoy to Afghanistan and Pakistan Richard Holbrooke has said that the huge humanitarian and military aid being offered to Pakistan is critical for America’s security interests.
“Pakistan needs our help and that help is in our own national security interests. And that’s why Barack Obama has endorsed the bill (in Senate) by John Kerry and Richard Lugar,” The Daily Times quoted Holbrooke, as saying.
He stressed that the economic assistance and a preferential trade programme for Islamabad would help the country come out of the prevalent turbulent situation.
Holbrooke’s remarks came at a time when lawmakers are discussing over building momentum towards progress on two versions of the bill in the House of Representatives and the Senate.
Top US officials have also been urging lawmakers on approval of the Reconstruction Opportunity Zones (ROZs) initiative.
“The ROZs are a high-priority item for the US government .We have been in extensive communications with the leadership in the House and Senate, particularly the House, because it has to originate in the House,” said Holbrooke.
Holbrooke also observed that the whole legislative process attached with the Pakistan aid bill was complicated, but the officials have spur up their efforts so that the bill is passed as soon as possible.
“This legislation is vitally important to our national interests in Pakistan. It’s complicated, but it is tremendously important,” Holbrooke said. (ANI)
- US Senate approves tripled aid bill for Pakistan - Jun 25, 2009
- US vows to continue supporting Pak amid devastating floods - Aug 29, 2010
- Pak wants US to expedite disbursement of pledged aid - Sep 18, 2010
- US to send additional 18 helicopters for Pak flood relief - Aug 29, 2010
- US lawmakers raise questions about Pakistan, but defend aid - May 06, 2011
- US holding back economic aid to Pakistan - Mar 03, 2011
- Kerry calls for tight check on Pak non-military aid fearing rampant govt corruption - May 28, 2010
- US Senator Kerry meets Zardari, Gilani - Apr 13, 2009
- US ambassador 'justifies' drone attacks in Pak as 'part of war on terror' - Oct 30, 2010
- Quick approval urged for US aid to Pakistan - May 13, 2009
- Kerry hints at possibility of bill being moved in Senate 'against US aid to Pak' - Feb 16, 2011
- White House blames 'vested interests' in Pak for creating chaos over KL Bill - Oct 14, 2009
- India 'important' for US success in Afghanistan, Pakistan: Holbrooke - Jan 22, 2010
- US to renew demand for direct access to AQ Khan - Sep 26, 2010
- Pak leaders showcasing India as 'enemy' to Afghanistan: US - Jul 16, 2010
Tags: barack obama, economic assistance, high priority, house of representatives, initiative, john kerry, lawmakers, legislation, legislative process, military aid, momentum, national interests, national security interests, opportunity zones, pakistan, reconstruction, richard holbrooke, richard lugar, senate, two versions