PAF offensive kills 20 militants in FATA, claim officialsApril 20th, 2009 - 4:14 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Apr.20 (ANI): At least twenty militants were reportedly killed in an offensive launched by the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) in the Orakzai region of the Federally Administered Tribal Areas (FATA), Pakistan military officials have claimed.
According to the Dawn, PAF jets and helicopter gunships launched an attack targeting a close aide of Taliban leader Baitullah Mehsud, Hakimullah Mehsud, who had claimed the responsibility for a suicide car-bomb attack on a security convoy in which 25 security personnel were killed near Kohat town of the agency.
“Our jets and helicopters attacked suspected hideouts of militants in the Ghiliju area and killed 20 militants,” a military official said.
Local residents said the fighter jets bombed a government school which was turned into a training camp by the Taliban.
However, officials were unable to give details about whether Hakimullah Mehsud had also been killed in the attack or not. (ANI)
- Ten militants killed, five injured in military strikes in Pak's Orakzai region - Nov 07, 2010
- 25 more Taliban killed across FATA as Pak forces continue offensive - Jun 21, 2010
- 10 militants killed in Pakistan - Apr 27, 2010
- 55 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 05, 2009
- 18 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 01, 2012
- Pakistani security forces make advances in South Waziristan (Lead) - Oct 18, 2009
- Pak Army kills 16 Taliban militants in Orakzai Agency - Jul 23, 2010
- At least 20 suspected militants killed in Pak tribal region - Dec 30, 2010
- 22 militants killed in Pakistan - Mar 29, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban hold peace talks - Nov 23, 2011
- 100 Taliban insurgents killed in Orakzai offensive : Pak Army - Jul 14, 2010
- Three top Taliban commanders among 70 militants killed in FATA airstrikes - May 24, 2010
- 33 insurgents killed in northwest Pakistan - Apr 29, 2011
- Pakistan troops kill more than 60 militants (Second Lead) - Sep 06, 2009
- 34 militants killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: car bomb attack, convoy, dawn, fighter jets, government school, helicopter, helicopters, hideouts, militants, military official, military officials, pakistan air force, security personnel, suicide, taliban, training camp, tribal areas