‘Oye Lucky!…’ provides entertaining Punjabi music (Music Review)November 25th, 2008 - 9:33 am ICT by IANS
Film: “Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!”; Music Director: Sneha Khanwalkar; Singers: Himani Kapoor, Dilbahar, Rajbir, Mika, Des Raj Lachkani, Brijesh Shandilya; Rating: ***Sneha Khanwalkar has composed numbers that are heavily influenced by Punjabi music and beats for this interestingly titled film. The album has varied singers and lyricists, some of whom put forth a good performance despite it being their first big break.
“Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!”, sung by Mika, is a wholesome Punjabi number that spells a whole lot of fun. Penned by director Dibakar Banerjee, Manu Rishi and Kanu Behl, the title track will surely become a chartbuster.
Next is “Jugni”. Like the title of this track suggests, “Jugni” is laced with Punjabi flavour and is a catchy song. Des Raj Lachkani and party render this piece with great energy. The song, like its predecessor, will certainly appeal to the masses.
“Tu Raja ki raj dulari” is a song that has a folk touch to it. While Rajbir has sung the number, Mange Ram has written the lyrics and the composer has used westernised arrangements to make it more appealing.
“Superchor” is a funny song. Singer Dilbahar’s rendition and Dibakar Banerjee and Amitosh Nagpal’s hilarious lyrics will amuse and entertain listeners.
A whole lot of drama and loud singing define “Hooriyan”. Revolving round the theme of marriage, it has been crooned by Himani Kapoor and Brijesh Shandilya. Though an average piece, it would fit in well in the course of the movie.
“Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!”, like most comedies, belts out music that sticks to its theme. The Punjabi coating of most of the songs offers a delightful experience. While not all the songs will turn out to be instant chartbusters, there are a few that will not only be fun to hear but hopefully be complimented with good visuals as well.
- Balle balle! Punjabi music is flavour of Bollywood - Mar 09, 2011
- Music Review:Love Sex Aur Dhokha (2010) - Mar 29, 2010
- Musician Sneha defies convention, follows her heart - Aug 14, 2012
- Folk gets a new high in 'Gangs of Wasseypur - Part 2' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Jul 21, 2012
- Mika, Shaan together in movie? - Aug 03, 2012
- Situational songs dominate 'Bheja Fry 2' album (IANS Music Review) - May 27, 2011
- Folk meets new-age beats in 'Gangs of Wasseypur' soundtrack (IANS Music Review) - Jun 11, 2012
- 'Bittoo Boss' packs right punch with desi tadka, global sound (IANS Music Review) - Mar 28, 2012
- Mika floors Jeff Jarrett with his tunes (With Images) - Jan 27, 2012
- 'Rowdy Rathore' soundtrack disenchanting (IANS music review) - May 05, 2012
- 'Tanu Weds Manu' music an eclectic mix (IANS Music Review) - Feb 13, 2011
- Youthful songs, fresh compositions ruled the charts (2011 In Retrospect) - Dec 20, 2011
- I want to sing for SRK: Javed Ali - Jul 02, 2012
- 'Cocktail' soundtrack youthful, delectable mix of sounds (IANS music review) - Jun 20, 2012
- 'Department' - lively, powerful soundtrack (IANS music review) - May 13, 2012