Over 3 million weapons ‘missing’ from official warehouses in Pak PunjabOctober 16th, 2010 - 5:14 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Oct 16(ANI): The Pakistan Punjab government’s report that 3.12 million sophisticated weapons, including hand-grenades, have gone missing from the official warehouses in the last 10 years is appalling, an editorial in a leading Pakistani newspaper has said.
According to the report, 3,454 grenades, 4,490 Kalashnikovs, 43,954 rifles and 66,695 guns were among the weapons gone missing.
The other armaments include revolvers, pistols, carbines, cartridges and sharp-edged weapons.
The editorial in Dawn said that the details were shocking and gives an idea of the layers of corruption in the law-enforcement structure in the country’s most populous province.
“The disappearances could also mean that Punjab warehouses are one of the terrorists’ major sources of arms - and not only in Punjab. The meticulous details in the report about the number of weapons deposited with the provincial warehouses show on the whole that some people in the provincial law-enforcement agencies and their overseers do after all care about their job,” the editorial said.
“That in spite of this record-keeping the weapons should disappear is indeed ironic. We expect the Punjab government to release the inquiry report, if and when it is ready, and hope this will prompt the other provinces to take stock of what they have and what they have not,” it added.
It also commended the Punjab Home Department for preparing the report. (ANI)
- 70 per cent increase in proclaimed offenders, court absconders in Pak Punjab during 2010 - Jan 17, 2011
- Jail attack sign of Taliban's strength: daily - Apr 16, 2012
- Six terrorists held for Sri Lankan team attack in Lahore - Mar 30, 2011
- Over 5,000 dacoits held in Karachi in 2012 - Jul 22, 2012
- Yemen weapons factory blast toll climbs to 150 - Mar 30, 2011
- Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province unsafe for foreigners: Daily - Mar 19, 2012
- Five hurt in Quetta blast - Sep 27, 2010
- Pakistani Taliban hold secret meeting, plan fresh strikes - Nov 28, 2010
- Four die in Iraq clashes between protesters and security (Lead) - Feb 25, 2011
- Taliban sends three explosive-laden vehicles to target important installations in Punjab - Jul 23, 2009
- Malaysia to purchase, re-sell US weapons - Mar 29, 2011
- Taliban storm Pakistani jail, free nearly 400 inmates (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Militants attack government buildings in Russia - Feb 26, 2011
- Three killed in suicide attack at Pakistan police station (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- China extradites British criminal suspect - Nov 07, 2011
Tags: 10 years, armaments, carbines, corruption, dawn, disappearances, edged weapons, guns, hand grenades, inquiry report, islamabad, law enforcement agencies, pistols, populous province, provincial law, punjab government, rifles, sophisticated weapons, spite, warehouses