Over 3 children sexually abused in Pakistan daily: NGO reportNovember 27th, 2010 - 5:56 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore, Nov 27 (ANI): Approximately 3.3 children are sexually abused per day in Pakistan, which is a 9.4 per cent increase as compared to the 2008 data, according to a report.
According to the report compiled by a non-governmental organisation (NGO)- Sahil, a total of 2,012 reported cases of child sexual abuse were recorded from all over Pakistan in 2009, The Nation reported.
Punjab- with the largest population- has topped the list by reporting 62 per cent cases, followed by Sindh- 28 pc, Islamabad- 7pc, Khyber Pakhtunkhawa- 1.5pc, Balochistan- 1pc and Pak-occupied Kashmir- 0.5pc.
The rural-urban divide of the cases showed that about 63 per cent cases occurred in rural areas and 37 per cent of them among the urban population of Pakistan.
81 per cent of the reported cases of child sexual abuse were registered with the police, whereas 6 per cent were unregistered, and the status of 13 per cent was not mentioned.
Also, the identification of 70 per cent victims was revealed by printing names (63pc) and pictures (7pc) in the newspapers, whereas the identities of 30 per cent victims were not revealed.
As per the sex-wise distribution of data in the report, 6, 800 girls and 32 per cent boys were victims of sexual abuse.
Among the crime categories, abduction cases topped the list of sexual abuse crimes against children with about 4,100 cases, while the second highest crime category was that of rape and sodomy with as many as 2, 800 cases of both girls and boys taking place. Gang rape and gang sodomy was the third highest category of crime with 15 per cent cases taking place.
A total of 6 per cent children were murdered after being sexually assaulted, whereas 0.5 per cent cases were of those kids, who were murdered in an attempt of sexual assault.
According to the report, the most vulnerable age group of children to abuse is that of 11-15 years, in which almost 25.5 per cent cases took place, followed by 6-10 years, with 16.5 per cent cases. (ANI)
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- NGO report reveals shocking spike in child sexual abuse cases in Pak - Oct 15, 2010
- Sri Lanka records rise in rapes of children - Jul 05, 2012
- Calvin Klein ad could fuel cases of gang rape, say experts - Oct 20, 2010
- How barbaric is Pakistani society, wonders daily - Oct 17, 2011
- Gang that looted and raped victims nabbed - Aug 06, 2011
- Pakistani society careless about kids' safety: Media - Aug 20, 2012
- 'Create a helpline for rape victims' - Mar 02, 2012
- Kids' sexual abuse: Minister asks Dadwal to suspend local officer - Oct 01, 2010
- Rape, gang rape cases increasing in Pakistan - Dec 27, 2010
- 7,563 rapes in Jharkhand in 10 years: Report - Apr 13, 2012
- In delhi, nearly all rapes are by relatives, neighbours - Jan 06, 2012
- Pakistan has "culture of impunity" on human rights abuses: US report - Apr 09, 2011
- Mumbai police arrest paedophile Britons - Mar 21, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh's fifth rape case in a day (Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
Tags: abduction cases, child sexual abuse, crime categories, crime category, crimes against children, gang rape, girls and boys, governmental organisation, kashmir, khyber, lahore, largest population, population of pakistan, sexual assault, sodomy, those kids, urban divide, urban population, victims of sexual abuse, vulnerable age