Osians Durand Cup to kick off tomorrowAugust 20th, 2008 - 7:18 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 20 (ANI): The 121st edition of the Osians Durand Cup, which is the third oldest football tournament in the world, will kick off on Thursday with 16 teams participating in the tournament.
The opening ceremony of the 121st Osians Durand Cup will take place here on August 21 at Dr. Ambedkar Stadium. Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor will be the chief guest.
The pre-quarterfinals will commence tomorrow, which will see participation of eight teams and will be played in the league format. Army 11, ND Heroes, Tata Football Academy and Salgaocar from Goa are directly placed in the pre-quarterfinals league, alongwith the Assam Rifles, BSF, ASC Centre and ONGC who have made their grade from the knockout qualifying round, that concluded from Aug 8-19.
The quarterfinals will include the Indian football giants such as JCT Mills, Mahindra United, Churchill Brothers, Sporting Club de Goa, Air India alongwith Mumbai FC, besides the other two teams who qualify from the pre-quarterfinal league.
A total of Rs 20 lakh will be paid as prize money Rs.8 lakh for the winners and Rs.6 lakh for the runners up. Cash awards will also be given out to the Best Player of the Tournament, Best Player of the Match, Best Coach and Best Goalkeeper.
Additionally, the Golden Boot for the highest goal scorer will be awarded as well.
Following the success of 120th edition of Osians Durand Cup, this year also the semi-finals and final match will be played under the floodlights, facilitating better playing conditions and better viewing to the spectators. (ANI)
- Durand Cup: Dempo skip; East Bengal, Chirag will play - Oct 22, 2010
- The 107 caps of Bhaichung Bhutia (Career statistics) - Aug 24, 2011
- Durand Cup: Garhwal Heroes shock Sporting; Salgaocar beat Air India - Oct 28, 2010
- Durand Cup prize money increased - Sep 26, 2011
- I-League champions Churchill clubbed with East Bengal in Durand Cup - Aug 21, 2009
- I-League begins Saturday, spotlight on Dempo-Salgaocar clash - Oct 21, 2011
- Local boy Nim Tshering Lepcha to lead United Sikkim - Jul 13, 2011
- Kashmir has talent but no infrastructure: Footballer Ishfaq Ahmed - Oct 23, 2011
- Salgoacar's Bencherifa is I-League's best coach - Oct 18, 2011
- JCT looking to overcome poor I-League start against Churchill - Dec 06, 2010
- APOEL Nicosia make Champions League breakthrough - Dec 02, 2011
- Chirag United down East Bengal to enter final - Nov 04, 2010
- Federation Cup: Pune FC placed in tough draw - Aug 31, 2012
- Churchill enter Durand Cup semis with Okolie's triple strike - Oct 31, 2010
- JCT knocks out defending champions Churchill, enter final - Nov 03, 2010