Osama’s wife says family was living at Abbottabad compound since 2005: SourceMay 4th, 2011 - 1:11 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 4(ANI): One of Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden’s wives, who survived the helicopter borne raid by US troops on Sunday night, has reportedly said that the most wanted terrorist’s family had been living at the luxury compound in Abbottabad since 2005.
The Saudi-born terrorist, who had evaded capture for a decade, was killed in a top secret operation involving a small team of US Special Forces in Abbottabad city, located 50 kilometres northeast of Islamabad and 150 kilometres east of Peshawar.
The aftermath of the mission has been productive. The US collected an “impressive amount” of material from bin Laden’s compound, including computers and other electronics, TIME quoted Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) chief Leon Panetta, as saying.
Panetta has set up a task force to act on the fresh intelligence. Intelligence reporting suggests that one of bin Laden’s wives who survived the attack revealed that the family had been living at the compound since 2005, a source told the magazine.
That will raise questions about the Pakistan government’s possible awareness of bin Laden’s location in recent years.
But one of Panetta’s predecessors said that this revealtion could work to America’s advantage.
“It opens up some opportunities for us with Pakistan,” deputy CIA chief John McLaughlin said.
“They now should feel under some great pressure to be cooperative with us on the remaining issues,” like going after the Taliban elsewhere in the country. “It’s called leverage,” he added. (ANI)
- CIA "exploited intelligence leads" given by ISI to reach bin Laden: Pak FO - May 04, 2011
- Al-Qaeda affiliates will still pose threats: US experts - May 02, 2011
- Pak fires back at CIA chief's damning indictment of ISI double game - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan would have jeopardised Osama raid: CIA chief - May 04, 2011
- Pakistan's role in war on terror should not be doubted: Kayani - May 05, 2011
- Pakistan Taliban threaten US, Pak over Osama bin Laden's killing - May 02, 2011
- Osama death: Pak says raid 'in accordance with declared US policy' - May 02, 2011
- Pak spy agencies detain 11 people over Osama's Abbottabad stay - May 05, 2011
- Humiliated ISI's 'good, but not God' excuse following Osama's discovery in Abbottabad - May 05, 2011
- Pak, Afghanistan, US hold trilateral talks in Islamabad - May 03, 2011
- 'ISI must be utterly stupid to harbour Osama at Abbottabad': Musharraf - May 04, 2011
- Pak highlights 'significant role' in counter-terrorism efforts - May 02, 2011
- Musharraf says he would not have allowed US operation to kill Osama - May 02, 2011
- Osama death: Zardari, Gilani, Pak security chiefs in emergency talks - May 02, 2011
- Osama bin Laden had banned 'haram' smoking in Pak compound - May 05, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,