Osama’s son missing in Pakistan since US raid: ReportMay 10th, 2011 - 10:28 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, May 10 (IANS) One of Osama bin Laden’s sons went missing after the raid by US commandos on the al Qaeda leader’s hideout in Pakistan’s Abbottabad town, a media report said Tuesday.
Osama’s three wives who are in custody said that one of his sons has not been seen since the May 2 raid, the ABC News quoted Pakistani officials as saying.
The son has not been identified, but Pakistani investigators agreed that it appeared someone was missing from the sprawling compound, it said.
US officials said that one of Osama’s sons, Khalid, was killed in the raid. It is not known if another son, Hamza, was in the compound at the time of the raid, though his mother is reportedly one of the wives in custody.
The US has denied its special forces took anyone from the compound other than Osama’s body.
The US initially faced resistance from Pakistani authorities when investigators asked for access to Osama’s widows, but a US official said Monday Pakistani officials promised to make the meeting happen sometime soon.
One senior Pakistani security official told ABC News there is still no timeframe for that meeting, however.
Osama, who was married five times, is survived by at least 18 children. None of the sons, however, are in line to succeed their father for leadership of al Qaeda, ABC News reported.
“Unlike a lot of Arab governments that are dynastic,” said former White House counter-terrorism advisor Richard Clarke, now an ABC News consultant. “Al Qaeda has not been and his sons have never played a real operational role of any significance. They did not appear to be groomed for leadership roles in al Qaeda.”
- Pakistan will provide US conditional access to Osama's wives - May 10, 2011
- Osama wanted his youngest wife to be of high moral value - May 10, 2011
- Pakistan questions Osama widows, daughters - Oct 05, 2011
- Pak detains 11 for questioning over Osama presence in Abbotabad - May 05, 2011
- 'Jealous wife betrayed Osama' - Mar 11, 2012
- Pak spy agencies detain 11 people over Osama's Abbottabad stay - May 05, 2011
- Russian-made ammunition found in Osama's home - Mar 16, 2012
- Osama's youngest wife to leave Pakistan for Yemen - Jun 22, 2011
- Come out with truth on Osama raid: Pakistani daily - Aug 31, 2012
- Osama bin Laden killed, Pakistan kept in dark (Roundup) - May 02, 2011
- Osama's courier was Arshad Khan to neighbours: NYT - May 08, 2011
- CIA held fake vaccination drive to get Osama family DNA - Jul 12, 2011
- Commission probing Osama killing visits ISI office - Dec 14, 2011
- Osama's family can leave country: Pakistani panel - Oct 07, 2011
- Pakistan to probe Osama raid - May 10, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, abc news, al qaeda, arab governments, commandos, counter terrorism, hideout, khalid, leadership roles, operational role, osama bin laden, pakistani authorities, pakistani officials, qaeda leader, richard clarke, security official, special forces, three wives, timeframe, widows