Osama killing: US awaiting clarification on Pakistani doctorJune 5th, 2012 - 1:51 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 5 (IANS) The US State Department says it is still awaiting a clarification from Pakistan on Shakeel Afridi, the doctor held by Islamabad for helping the CIA track down slain Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.
“We’ve not received any updates. And our position’s very clear,”
Geo News quoted US State Department spokesman Mark Toner as saying.
He said the US didn’t think there were ever any grounds for Pakistan to hold Afridi, much less convict him of any wrongdoing.
Toner said: “There was this weird reversal last week on which they said, in fact, he was tried - and again, I’m going just off of news reports - because of his ties to the Pakistani Taliban.”
“And we’ve yet to receive from the government, to my understanding or to my knowledge, a clear explanation of that shift.”
Afridi had allegedly helped conduct a phony polio vaccination campaign at the behest of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) to secure the DNA of bin Laden and his family.
Osama was killed in a operation by US special forces at his mansion in Abbottabad near Islamabad last May.
Afridi was arrested at the Pakistan-Afghanistan border in Torkham while allegedly trying to flee the country.
- US senator introduces bill to stop Pakistan aid (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Bank accounts of doctor who helped track Osama sealed - Feb 25, 2012
- Fearing death, Pakistani doctor refuses to eat prison meals - Jun 03, 2012
- 'Doctor who helped in Osama mission needs US help' - Jun 19, 2012
- US Senate panel cuts Pakistan aid over doctor's jailing - May 25, 2012
- US wants India, Pakistan to keep up dialogue - Jul 02, 2011
- ISI considers US its worst enemy, says jailed doctor - Sep 11, 2012
- Pakistan government urged to shift Shakil Afridi from Peshawar - Jun 02, 2012
- Doctor jailed for 30 years for helping US kill Osama - May 23, 2012
- Pakistani who helped CIA track down Osama faces treason charges - Oct 07, 2011
- CIA plotted to nab Osama bin Laden with fake vaccination drive - Jul 12, 2011
- US seeking answers from Pakistan after Osama raid - May 19, 2011
- Can India go after Mumbai masterminds in Pakistan? US not sure - May 06, 2011
- Closely cooperating with India on Mumbai attacks: US - May 27, 2011
- Abbottabad operation was unlawful, says Amnesty - May 24, 2012
Tags: abbottabad, afridi, behest, central intelligence agency, clarification on, geo news, islamabad, mark toner, news reports, osama bin laden, polio, polio vaccination, qaeda leader, shakeel, special forces, state department spokesman, torkham, us state department, vaccination campaign, wrongdoing