Osama bin Laden ‘hiding in Pakistan’: Admiral MullenJuly 25th, 2010 - 1:42 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, July 25(ANI): US Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Admiral Mike Mullen has supported US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s statement about the presence of Osama Bin Laden and other top Al-Qaida leadership in Pakistan.
Addressing media at the US embassy in Islamabad, he said: “I believe Osama is here in Pakistan.”
“They are hiding in a very secure place and it is very difficult to trace them,” The Daily Times quoted Admiral Mullen, as saying.
He claimed that the tribal belt on Pakistan’s western border had become the “global headquarters” for Al Qaeda.
Earlier, during her visit to Pakistan, Clinton had said that she believed Laden was still in Pakistan.
“I believe (bin Laden) is here in Pakistan and it would be very helpful if we could take them (Al-Qaeda leaders),” Clinton had said.
“I assume somebody in this government, from top to bottom, does know where bin Laden is. So, I think we have got to keep pressure on, which we are doing,” she added.
The US intelligence agencies have maintained that bin Laden is alive despite rumours of his poor health and a lack of verified sightings or appearances in recent years. (ANI)
- Gilani rebukes Clinton, says Laden, Mullah Omar not in Pak - Jul 21, 2010
- US believes Osama, Mullah Omar in Pakistan: Hillary Clinton - Jul 20, 2010
- "Elements" in Pak Govt. aware about bin Laden's whereabouts: Clinton - Jul 20, 2010
- Statement by former U.S. President Clinton on Bin Laden's death - May 02, 2011
- Hillary Clinton arrives in Islamabad - May 27, 2011
- Taliban can't defeat US but can choose to abandon al-Qaida: Clinton - May 03, 2011
- Al Qaeda leader admits terror network facing pressure from drone hits in Pakistan - Jan 27, 2011
- Someone in Pakistan knew about bin Laden's hideout: Panetta - Jan 28, 2012
- `Somebody' in Pakistan knew of Osama, says US (Lead) - May 19, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri not in Pakistan: Gilani - May 13, 2012
- US leveraging Pakistan aid to know where Osama is - Jul 21, 2010
- Clinton in Pakistan, meets Zardari (Lead) - May 27, 2011
- End anti-Americanism, Clinton tells Pakistan (Second Lead) - May 27, 2011
Tags: admiral mike mullen, admiral mullen, al qaeda, al qaida, chiefs of staff, embassy in islamabad, global headquarters, hillary clinton, joint chiefs of staff, osama bin laden, poor health, rumours, secretary of state, secure place, sightings, top to bottom, tribal belt, us embassy in islamabad, us intelligence agencies, western border