Opposition parties point out Pak Punjab govt’s crucial role in Davis’ releaseMarch 18th, 2011 - 2:37 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Mar 18 (ANI): Opposition members in the Punjab Assembly have accused the state government of playing a crucial role in the safe release of CIA contractor Raymond Davis.
The Daily Times quoted opposition member Majida Zaidi as saying that the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N)-led government was behind ensuring the safe exit for him. She also questioned Law Minister Rana Sanaulllah’s visit to Kot Lakhpat Jail before the release of Davis.
Senior Adviser to Punjab Chief Minister, Sardar Zulfiqar Khan Khosa, however defended the Punjab government saying that the House should not mock Shariah law by saying that the fate of Davis’ case was decided in the light of Shariah.
He also insisted that the Punjab government had completed all legalities in the case by registering a case against Davis after his arrest.
Stressing that the court had taken the decision of releasing Davis after considering the fact that the province had fulfilled all legal requirements into the case, Khosa added that the Punjab government could not be blamed for his release.
Meanwhile, it has been alleged by diplomats that Saudi Arabia had arranged the ‘blood money’, making the release Davis possible after spending two months in a Lahore jail.
They also said that the Saudis had joined the efforts to resolve the dispute late last month after it emerged that the Davis issue could lead to an irreparable damage to US-Pakistan relations. (ANI)
- Two US law experts reach Lahore to provide legal assistance to Davis - Mar 05, 2011
- Pakistani court frees Davis (Second Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Did Saudi Arabia arrange blood money for Davis' release? - Mar 18, 2011
- Davis' trial to be held at Lahore's Kot Lakhpat prison - Feb 22, 2011
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Davis double-murder hearing adjourned until March 3 after he refuses to sign challan - Feb 25, 2011
- Pak court rejects Davis' plea for diplomatic immunity - Mar 03, 2011
- Lahore HC rejects plea to block 'possible transfer' of Davis to Rawalpindi prison - Mar 04, 2011
- Pak court indicts Raymond Davis for double murder - Mar 16, 2011
- Raymond Davis' release in accordance with Shariah laws: Pak Punjab Governor - Mar 21, 2011
- Two US law experts meet Davis, discuss legal issues in double murder case - Mar 06, 2011
- Punjab Govt. turns down US Consulate's request to remove cameras from Davis' jail cell - Feb 26, 2011
- Raymond Davis released by Pakistani court (Third Lead) - Mar 16, 2011
- Zardari commutes Indian prisoner Sarabjit's death sentence - Jun 26, 2012
- Raymond Davis sent to 14-day judicial remand - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: blood money, chief minister, cia contractor, irreparable damage, khosa, law minister, opposition member, opposition members, opposition parties, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pakistan relations, pml n, punjab government, punjab govt, raymond davis, saudi arabia, saudis, zaidi, zulfiqar