Open-minded’ college students largest sperm donors in ChinaMarch 21st, 2011 - 6:04 pm ICT by ANI
‘New Delhi, March 21 (ANI): Due to the improved attitudes and increased subsidies, a growing number of college students in China have become sperm donors.
Sources with the Guangdong human sperm bank said that more than 95 percent of sperm donors are college students, whose donations are helping to ease the sperm shortage that has been troubling infertile couples for several years.
Only healthy men between the ages of 22 and 45 can give sperm once in their lifetime, according to the Ministry of Health. Gay men and foreign nationals are prohibited.
Men must visit a sperm bank three times for initial tests and undergo blood screening if their sample makes the grade. They then have to return about 10 times to donate.
A qualified donor can receive as much as 450 dollars in subsidies if he finishes the sperm process, sources with the bank said.
“Some students donate sperm for the increased subsidies, but most regard the donation as an act of charity to help those needing artificial insemination,” said Tang.
In China, about 10 percent of couples, many of whom live in big cities, are infertile, according to the bank.
“The situation has improved in recent years as more people, especially college students, have developed an interest in donating sperm,” said Tang.
“Students are much more open-minded than older generations. Many students with master and doctor degrees come to donate sperm. Their sperm is more valuable,” he added. (ANI)
- College students largest sperm donor group in China - Mar 21, 2011
- Shanghai sperm bank has 100,000 samples - Sep 10, 2012
- Chinese couples turning to sperm black markets for child - Sep 18, 2012
- Chinese permitted to donate sperm only once in lifetime - Nov 12, 2010
- Youngsters donate sperm to help childless couples in Mumbai - Jul 19, 2010
- Sperm drought in Victoria prompts calls to ease restrictions on imports - Feb 20, 2011
- Indian sperm hard to find, says world's leading sperm bank - Sep 17, 2011
- I'm doing Telugu version of 'Vicky Donor': Madhura Sreedhar - Sep 13, 2012
- 'Vicky Donor' earns Rs.13.40 crore, Shoojit Sircar ecstatic - Apr 25, 2012
- Fertility treatments show diminishing returns - Aug 06, 2010
- China sets up bank to freeze eggs of women cancer patients - Dec 26, 2010
- Good job Ayushmann, says Mini Mathur (Movie snippets) - Apr 29, 2012
- VJ-anchor Ayushmann's film debut as sperm donor - Oct 07, 2011
- Sperm coat protein may be key to male infertility: Study - Jul 21, 2011
- Chinese college launches morality bank - Mar 08, 2012
Tags: artificial insemination, blood screening, charity, college students, doctor degrees, donating sperm, foreign nationals, gay men, generations, guangdong, human sperm, infertile couples, initial tests, march 21, New Delhi, sperm bank, sperm donors, subsidies, tang, three times