One killed in Pakistan as militants attack rail tracksFebruary 25th, 2012 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Feb 25 (IANS) At least one person was killed and train services were affected in Pakistan’s Sindh province as rail tracks in many places were blown up by unidentified militants early Saturday, media reports said.
Tracks were blown up in Bin Qasim, Nawabshah, Pud Eidan, Khairpur and Ghotki, Geo News reported.
Dawn News said one person was killed in the explosions.
The first blast took place near Hussainabad town of Hyderabad around 7.15 a.m.
Police said two blasts were heard before they found out that a sizeable part of a track going through Long Khan Kairio village in Nawabshah was damaged.
Similar blasts were reported from Qasimabad area of Hyderabad, where two feet of rail tracks came off.
Blasts also took place in Hyderabad’s Latifabad area.
Reports of sabotage also came from Kotri, Ghotki, Bin Qasim and Pud Eidan where suspected militants detonated improvised explosive devices (IEDs) planted close to the tracks.
Many trains were stopped over safety concerns, railway sources said.
The Lahore-Karachi Business train — the first business-class train in the country — was stopped at Rohri town of Sindh province.
Security of the Thar Express train — that runs between Karachi and Jodhpur in India’s Rajasthan state — was also tightened after the blast.
- Six hurt in 15 blasts across Pakistan province - May 02, 2012
- Bomb blast damages railway track in Pakistan - Nov 03, 2010
- Three injured in explosions at rail tracks in three Pakistani cities - Feb 11, 2011
- Blast damages rail track in Pakistan - Nov 02, 2010
- Blasts target rail tracks in Pakistan - Feb 27, 2012
- Three dead as blast derails train in Pakistan - Aug 29, 2012
- India-bound Thar Express escapes blast near Karachi, two compartments derailed - Dec 04, 2010
- 3 killed, 50 injured when trains collide near Karachi - Sep 17, 2012
- Blast derails India-bound train in Pakistan - Dec 04, 2010
- Two hurt in Karachi rail track blasts - Feb 11, 2011
- Run trains on time, directs Pakistani PM - Jul 05, 2012
- Floods threaten Hyderabad city in Pakistan - Aug 24, 2010
- After threat to Zardari, PML-N offices set ablaze - Oct 30, 2011
- Two trucks blown up on Myanmar border - May 22, 2012
- Train bombing attempt foiled in Pakistan - Aug 20, 2012
Tags: blasts, business class, business train, dawn news, explosions, explosive devices, express train, geo news, ghotki, hyderabad, islamabad, jodhpur, khairpur, lahore, pud, rajasthan state, sabotage, safety concerns, sindh province, train services