One Indian soldier injured in six-hour firing on LOC (Third Lead)May 23rd, 2010 - 8:12 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, May 23 (IANS) An Indian soldier was injured Sunday when Pakistani troops fired mortars on Indian positions along the Line of Control (LoC) of Jammu and Kashmir’s Poonch district, an official said. Firing continued in the area for nearly six hours before ending in the afternoon.
The gunfire duel started 9 a.m. after Pakistani troops opened fire on Indian positions - Kranti and Kirpan posts manned by 17 Mahar of the Indian Army - at Krishna Ghati in Mendhar area of the district, about 200 km north of Jammu.
The firing continued until around 3 p.m. There was no report of any more firing since then.
“Pakistani troops opened small arms fire at 9 a.m. The Indian Army retaliated but soon Pakistanis started firing rockets and mortar,” an army spokesman told IANS.
“They also fired 30 mm mortars,” he said.
More than 20 rockets were fired and mortar shells came every five to 15 minutes.
Though guns have fallen silent, the Indian Army was on alert. “We cannot take chances as Pakistani troops have developed a habit of disturbing the peace and violating ceasefire on the LoC,” the spokesman said.
The Indian Army sees it as a “clear case of ceasefire violation,” he added.
This is for the first time that Pakistani troops have fired mortars since a ceasefire was reached between India and Pakistan Nov 26, 2003.
Pakistan has opened fire in Krishna Ghati sector for the fourth time this month. Earlier, it had indulged in firing on May 1, 6 and 18.
- Pakistani troops fire mortars on LoC, one Indian soldier hurt (Second Lead) - May 23, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at Indian posts (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire at six Indian posts (Second Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- All quiet at LoC, day after six-hour firing - May 24, 2010
- Pakistani troops fire rockets at six Indian posts (Night Lead) - Oct 28, 2010
- Pakistan violates ceasefire - May 23, 2010
- Pakistan violates ceasefire along LoC (Second Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Pakistan violates ceasefire, targets three Indian posts on LoC (Lead) - Aug 19, 2010
- Indian, Pakistani armies exchange heavy fire on LoC (Lead) - May 23, 2010
- Indian soldier killed in Pakistani firing - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistani troops target Indian border posts - Jan 05, 2012
- Pakistan halts firing at LoC - Jun 21, 2012
- Indian Army lodges protest over LoC firing (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- Pakistan ready for flag meeting after firing - Jun 22, 2012
- Pakistan Army rockets Indian posts in Kashmir: army - Sep 29, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,