One in every 3 Pakistani visa to Britain fake: ReportJune 21st, 2009 - 4:03 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 21 (ANI): Massive irregularities have been unearthed in Britain’s immigration system with a shocking disclosure that more than one in every three successful visa applications from Pakistani citizens “lacked credibility”.
According to a secret internal report, which has been now leaked to The Sunday Times, travel permits were given to thousands of Pakistanis to visit Britain without even the most basic checks and investigations.
The UK Border Agency official, who made the report public, claimed that it (report) was prepared two years ago, but was ‘effectively shelved’ by senior officials.
He also claimed that senior managers ignored the concerns raised by Chris Taylor, an official who was sent to Pakistan to investigate the issue.
Bogus bank accounts and letters of introduction from non-existent British companies were being used for the large scale forgery, the report said.
Hinting at a massive scam, Taylor had said in his report that there was an immediate need of a thorough enquiry into the issue.
“More checks and interviews could have been undertaken,” said Taylor.
Expressing concern over the issue, Chris Grayling, the shadow home secretary, termed the report as ‘profoundly disturbing’
“It reveals the chaos in our immigration system. Given the much publicized terrorism issue in relation to Pakistan, it raises the question that has the government left a gaping loophole in our security?” The Times quoted Grayling, as saying.
The disclosure has once again raised fears about probable terror threats to Britain from illegal Pakistani immigrants. Every year about 10,000 Pakistan civilians are granted student visas to Britain, and thousands more visit the United Kingdom as tourists or business travelers. (ANI)
- Britain's Labour party under fire over Pakistan 'visa sham' - Sep 10, 2009
- Britain makes it tough for Pakistani students - Apr 13, 2012
- One in 10 foreign students in Britain sponsored by bogus college - Feb 27, 2010
- British immigration officials pass Pak visas in just 11 minutes - Jul 04, 2009
- Tory government to make yearly 2000-pound bond for foreign students mandatory - Jan 09, 2010
- Labour's open door migrant policy may have allowed Taliban to slip into UK - Nov 09, 2009
- Pakistan slams UK for its slack visa norms - Apr 10, 2009
- 350,000 foreigners enter Britain on 'student' visas - Aug 02, 2010
- Pak urges Britain to stop discrimination against visa seekers - Jan 29, 2010
- Pak-based terrorists exploiting Britain's shoddy visa system - Sep 10, 2009
- 'Indian students to face extra scrutiny under Tory government' - Jan 09, 2010
- ISI halts talks with CIA at all levels over being treated as "their lackeys" - Feb 24, 2011
- A factory for fake visas in Bangladesh - Sep 23, 2011
- Illegal immigrants get into UK through 'bogus college' route - Jul 21, 2009
- Illegal Indian immigrants convicted for biggest UK visa fraud - Jun 04, 2009
Tags: bank accounts, business travelers, chris taylor, civilians, credibility, forgery, immigrants, immigration system, irregularities, letters of introduction, loophole, pakistani citizens, pakistanis, senior managers, senior officials, shadow home secretary, student visas, sunday times, times travel, visa applications