One dead in anti-Islam film protest in PakistanSeptember 21st, 2012 - 5:00 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Sep 21 (IANS) One person was fatally shot while demonstrators set ablaze two cinema halls in Pakistan’s Peshawar city during a protest against an anti-Islam film, police said.
The demonstrators set fire to the two cinemas Friday, a day when Pakistan marked a day of protests against the anti-Islam film “Innocence of Muslims” that has triggered angry demonstrations around the world.
Protestors damaged the Chamber of Commerce building while in a firing incident on GT Road, an employee of a private TV channel was killed and seven others were injured, Geo News reported.
A cinema guard opened fire, injuring one person, when a crowd armed with clubs and bamboo poles converged on the Firdaus picture house, smashing it up and setting furniture ablaze, police officer Gohar Ali said.
Witnesses said the crowd stormed Shama cinema, smashing windows and setting it afire.
Authorities used shipping containers to block roads leading to the US consulate, the offices of Western aid organisations and other key buildings in the city.
The authorities have also shut down the mobile phone network in 15 cities across the country in an effort to contain the violence.
Violence also took place in Rawalpindi as demonstrators took to the roads leading to capital Islamabad and pelted cars and police with stones and burned down a booth at a toll plaza, said Mohammad Munir, a police official.
- One dead as Pakistan protests anti-Islam film (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Anti-Islam film protests grip Pakistan; one killed (Second Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Anti-Islam film protests in Pakistan turn violent, at least 19 killed - Sep 22, 2012
- 25 injured in Islamabad protests over anti-Islam film (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Pakistan blocks over 700 anti-Islam YouTube links - Sep 17, 2012
- Pakistan assures diplomats' safety at 'all cost' - Sep 20, 2012
- Pakistan summons top US diplomat over anti-Islam film - Sep 21, 2012
- UN chief slams `hateful film', calls for calm - Sep 14, 2012
- Army called in to protect Islamabad diplomatic enclave - Sep 20, 2012
- 36 injured in anti-Islam film protest in Islamabad (Second Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,