On the menu: Sizzlingly fast hilsa supply to IndiaOctober 22nd, 2008 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Oct 22 (IANS) Officials in Bangladesh and India are working out ways to quicken the supply of the much-sought-after hilsa fish to India, an export that fetched Dhaka $9.24 million in the July-October season alone.Officials on both sides want to quicken loading and unloading and speed up the transport of this highly perishable commodity. The two sides urged their respective port authorities to improve efficiency, New Age newspaper said Wednesday.
Seven to eight truck-loads of the silver-scaled delicacy cross the Petrapole border to India’s West Bengal daily after which it hits the vast market in Kolkata and moves right up to Delhi’s eastern suburb, which has Asia’s largest wholesale fish market.
It fetches a higher price than hilsa from West Bengal, Orissa or Gujarat. But it is not an easily available commodity. Stocks are exhausted within hours of arrival.
More than 1,500 tonnes of hilsa crossed the border during the season this year.
Bangladesh kept up the supplies despite natural calamities like floods and Cyclone Sidr that hit last year.
It kept the price low at $4 a kilogram initially, but raised it to $6 after unscrupulous traders were found to be taking advantage of the low price and diverting supplies.
Officials suspect some traders have funnelled foreign exchange out of the country, taking advantage of the low export price of hilsa last year.
- Bengal to up vigil to stop fishing of small Hilsa - Aug 11, 2012
- Hilsa selling at Rs.1,000-1,500 in Bengal, prices to continue soaring - Aug 08, 2012
- Hooked on the hilsa - Sep 07, 2011
- Mamata tames pricey hilsa? - Jul 20, 2011
- Is overfishing killing the hilsa in Bengal? (With Image) (June 5 is World Environment Day) - Jun 05, 2012
- Reduce taxes on hilsa fish, say Bangladesh, Indian traders - Jul 03, 2009
- Enclaves, hilsa key issues in PM's Dhaka visit - Aug 23, 2011
- India-Bangla trade must grow faster, says Pranab - Jan 22, 2012
- No fish will be left to catch, expert warns Bangladesh - Feb 01, 2011
- Manmohan to break veg vow for hilsa? - Sep 06, 2011
- Bangladesh to boost trade, ties with northeast - Dec 08, 2010
- Good news for hilsa lovers: Bangladesh tries pond farming (Lead) - May 14, 2010
- Bangladesh tries to farm hilsa in ponds - May 14, 2010
- India expecting 50 truckloads of onion from Pakistan Friday - Dec 24, 2010
- 34 trucks of onions reach India from Pakistan (Lead) - Dec 23, 2010