Olympians campaign to revive Pakistan hockeySeptember 19th, 2008 - 10:21 pm ICT by IANS
Karachi, Sep 19 (IANS) Pakistan’s former Olympians have kick-started a campaign to revive national game hockey by demanding the sacking of Pakistan Hockey Federation (PHF) president Zafarullah Khan Jamali, a former Prime Minister.Blaming Jamali for the hockey slump in the country, the Olympians want the government to install a veteran hockey player as the PHF president.
Over two dozen former Olympians and international players gathered here at a local hotel Thursday evening, chanting slogans “Go Jamali Go”.
“Jamali is the wrong man for the job and he has to go,” said celebrated striker Hassan Sardar as others shouted in approval.
“Pakistan hockey is still alive because the people love the game. We won’t allow it to die at the hands of incompetent officials,” said Hassan, who was supported by former stars Rasheedul Hassan, Saleem Sherwani, Nasir Ali, Akhtarul Islam and Waseem Feroze.
The Olympians have been irked by Pakistan’s dismal eighth-position finish at last month’s Olympic Games in Beijing and Jamali’s refusal to own responsibility for the team’s poor performance.
The stalwarts asked the Prime Minister, who is also PHF’s chief patron, to sack Jamali and appoint in his place Qasim Zia, a member of the 1984 Olympic gold medal-winning squad.
Qasim is widely tipped to take over as PHF president, but Jamali has reportedly been pleading for his retention as PHF chief.
Akhtar, a former Olympian, said that Pakistan’s hockey community will have to sit down and find solutions while Rasheedul said the former players were always willing to help.
Former captain Nasir said players have not done enough for hockey’s cause, while Sherwani, a gold medallist of the Los Angeles Games, said Jamali is a dictator and hoped the democratic government will sack him.
- pakistan fines rebel hockey players, spares them ban - May 31, 2012
- Pakistan hockey squad quits, officials sacked after World Cup debacle (Lead) - Mar 12, 2010
- Pakistan will return empty-handed from Olympics: Experts - Jul 30, 2012
- Pakistan hockey in turmoil again - Jul 23, 2009
- Pakistan's former Olympians protest against hockey federation - Jun 12, 2012
- Players emotional, should reconsider decision: PHF chief - Mar 11, 2010
- Pakistan drop seniors for Asian Champions Trophy hockey - Aug 19, 2011
- 'PHF negating 2012 Olympics vision by selecting senior players for Azlan Shah Cup' - Apr 30, 2011
- Pakistan hockey chief says keen on bilateral ties with India - Oct 11, 2011
- Pakistan delegation to visit India for hockey revival - Aug 28, 2012
- Pakistan hockey team completes Olympic training at Abbottabad - Jul 09, 2012
- Pakistan hockey invests in technology to improve players' fitness - Jul 06, 2011
- Pakistan hockey selectors, officials sacked - Mar 11, 2010
- Pakistan appoint Khwaja Junaid as hockey coach - Apr 16, 2010
- Pakistan hockey players to get central contacts - Nov 14, 2009