Official shot dead in Pakistan’s QuettaOctober 8th, 2011 - 12:53 am ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Oct 7 (IANS) Unidentified gunmen shot dead a senior government official in the violence-hit southwestern Pakistani city of Quetta late Friday night in an apparent targeted attack, police said.
Muhammad Idrees Ahmad, additional secretary in the Balochistan food department, was sitting in a shop when the gunmen riding a motorcycle opened fire on him, they said, reported Xinhua.
Sheikh died at the scene and his son Aizaz Ali was injured in the firing, police said. Doctors said that Ali is in stable condition. A passerby was also injured.
Witnesses said that two men arrived at the shop and one entered the shop and opened fire on the government official.
The gunmen fled after the attack on the busy Kasi road.
No group claimed responsibility for the attack.
Police said it is likely to be a targeted killing as the slain official was non-local as assailants routinely target government officials from other parts of the country, who are on duty in Balochistan.
Balochistan has seen series of sectarian attacks in recent weeks, claiming lives of many people. An extremist banned sectarian group has targeted Shia Muslims in at least five attacks in two months
- 9 killed in wave of sectarian violence in Quetta - Sep 01, 2012
- 13 die as gunmen open fire in Pakistan city (Lead) - Jul 30, 2011
- Six Shias shot dead in Pakistan - Apr 10, 2012
- 12 Shias killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Oct 04, 2011
- Nine Shias gunned down in Pakistan - Apr 14, 2012
- 29 Shia pilgrims killed in Pakistan - Sep 21, 2011
- Four policemen killed in Pakistan - Jun 09, 2012
- Gunmen attack bus carrying Shiite Muslims in southwestern Pakistan, killing 13 - Oct 05, 2011
- Gunmen execute 10 road workers in southwest Pakistan - Sep 15, 2012
- Four Shia pilgrims killed in Pakistan gun attack (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Gunmen attack pilgrims in western Pakistan, 7 killed - Jul 29, 2011
- Two Shia clerics killed in Iraq drive-by shooting - Sep 01, 2012
- 19 NATO tankers torched in Pakistan - Aug 22, 2011
- Suicide bomber gunned down in Pakistan - Apr 27, 2012
- One killed in NATO tanker attack in Pak's Balochistan province - Feb 03, 2011
Tags: ahmad, assailants, attack police, extremist, food department, friday night, government official, government officials, islamabad, muhammad, muslims, oct 7, passerby, quetta, sectarian attacks, sheikh, stable condition, two men, unidentified gunmen, xinhua