Obama wooed by immense Indian business potential: Pakistani dailyNovember 2nd, 2010 - 12:39 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, Nov 2 (IANS) Barack Obama “has to keep both Pakistan and India happy”, said a leading Pakistani daily ahead of the US president’s Nov 6-9 visit to India. It noted that Obama had been “wooed by the immense Indian business potential”.
An editorial in the Dawn said “presidents (Bill) Clinton and (George W.) Bush and now President Obama have all been wooed by the immense Indian business potential”.
“We also know that the world has debated Pakistan in the context of terror long enough for the topic to tax India’s powers of persuasion too much. India and the US, nay the whole world, is in agreement that Pakistan must play its role in reining in the terrorists.
“What the Indians have not been able to achieve so far is to use this global Pakistani indictment to push Islamabad into a corner where it would have to give up on many of its long-standing demands.”
The editorial pointed out that India has failed to meet this end “just as Pakistan has been unsuccessful in pushing its status of a partner in the global war on terror to elicit favours from the US to India’s disadvantage”.
“Circumstances do not allow Obama to come up with an aggressive statement of a change in intent and emphasis,” it said, adding: “He (Obama) has to keep both Pakistan and India happy.”
Commenting further on Obama’s trip, the editorial said: “As previously, scorers in Pakistan and India may once again be left counting their gains by bringing out the nuances Obama chooses to punctuate his visit with.”
It went on to say that in such a complicated situation, “nuances and symbolism do matter; it is impossible to confine them to a single meaning and interpretation”.
- India wants to keep getting oil from Iran: Pakistani daily - Jan 30, 2012
- Ease visa rules for better India ties: Pakistan daily - May 08, 2012
- Discernible defrosting of Pakistan, India ties: Daily - Feb 17, 2012
- Pak sees 'ally' Taliban as long-term proxy to limit India's influence in Afghanistan: NYT - Dec 09, 2009
- `Indo-Pak cricket: Emotions high, passions rising' - Mar 29, 2011
- India trip shows importance Obama places on ties: US daily - Nov 06, 2010
- India training Afghans will increase mistrust: Pakistani daily - Oct 06, 2011
- Heads must roll over Karachi attack, says Pakistani daily - May 25, 2011
- Pakistan intends to give MFN status to India: Daily - Apr 30, 2011
- 'Pak military's "dual policy" on terrorist safe havens an open invite to US incursions' - Dec 23, 2010
- Obama calls Manmohan on 'successful action' against Osama - May 10, 2011
- Pakistan's 'deep state' will remain abiding challenge for India (Comment) - Jul 12, 2012
- Reforming UNSC more complicated after US backing India: Pakistan - Nov 09, 2010
- Krishna's stable Pakistan message encouraging: Daily - Sep 08, 2012
- India compliments US for 26/11 trial - May 27, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,