Obama ordered drone attack in Waziristan: ReportJanuary 25th, 2009 - 3:23 pm ICT by ANI
Lahore/Islamabad, Jan.25 (ANI): Fridayss twin missile attacks in Pakistans tribal areas were ordered by US President Barack Obama, the Daily Times reports.
Quoting a report from The Guardian, US commanders had consulted Obama before launching the drone attacks on Waziristan.
Four days after assuming the presidency, he was consulted by US commanders before they launched the two attacks, the Pakistani daily said..
The two missile attacks on the Northern, and Southern part of Waziristan killed at least 22 people.
Allied forces have claimed that an Egyptian Al Qaeda operative, Mustafa Al Misri, was killed in the attacks, but authorities are still trying to determine his seniority.
Eight suspected foreigners were also killed in the attacks.
Meanwhile, Pakistan has criticized the US for the attacks, saying that they are hampering the peace process in the region.
Pakistan has repeatedly said missile hits are proving to be counter productive in the war against terror in the tribal region.
Pakistani intelligence officials have claimed several civilians were also killed in the attack.(ANI)
- US drone attack kills three militants in Pakistan's North Waziristan district - Jan 12, 2011
- US drones kill seven in Pakistan (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Al-Qaeda's Af-Pak chief killed in US drone attack in North Waziristan - Sep 29, 2010
- Four die in US drone attack in Pakistan - Feb 09, 2012
- US drone strike kills three Egyptians in Pakistan - Oct 16, 2011
- Huge Pakistan rally demands halt to US drone strikes - Oct 28, 2011
- Al Qaeda leader killed in Pakistan (Lead) - Sep 29, 2010
- US drone attack kills 22 suspected militants in North Waziristan - Mar 17, 2011
- US drone strike kills 4 in northwest Pakistan - Sep 01, 2012
- US drone strike kills four militants in North Waziristan - Mar 16, 2011
- Drone attack kills three in Pakistan - Nov 03, 2011
- Badruddin Haqqani killed in drone attack: Report - Aug 25, 2012
- Pakistan summons US diplomat to protest drone strikes - Aug 23, 2012
- 10 killed in Pakistan drone strike (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- US drone kills four in Pakistan - May 26, 2012
Tags: al misri, al qaeda, allied forces, authorities, barack obama, civilians, drone, foreigners, guardian, intelligence officials, islamabad, missile attacks, mustafa, peace process, presidency, qaeda operative, seniority, tribal areas, war against terror, waziristan