Not aware of chief justice’s son’s case: Rehman Malik (Lead)June 13th, 2012 - 4:06 pm ICT by IANS
Islamabad, June 13 (IANS) Pakistan’s former interior minister Rehman Malik has denied knowledge of any film related to Arsalan Iftikhar, son of Pakistan Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry and who is allegedly involved in a graft case.
Malik, now an adviser on interior affairs to Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani, has also categorically denied that the government is aware of the film, Dawn reported Wednesday.
In a statement issued under oath, Malik said neither he nor the federal interior ministry had any information about a film on Arsalan Iftikhar.
The chief justice had earlier stepped down from a Supreme Court bench hearing the suo motu case of his son allegedly receiving millions of rupees from powerful real-estate tycoon Malik Riaz.
Malik has said that the accusations levelled by certain television anchors are unfounded and fabricated. He has directed that a Rs.3 billion (about $32 million) suit to be filed against the anchors.
Meanwhile, a three-member bench headed by Chief Justice Chaudhry Wednesday resumed hearing in a case relating to the dual nationality of Pakistani citizens.
The case is being heard by the bench following a petition seeking a declaration against parliamentarians and members of different provincial assemblies holding dual nationality.
On June 5, the apex court suspended Rehman Malik’s Senate membership for holding dual nationality.
The Supreme Court had also issued notice to 14 other parliamentarians and members of provincial assemblies belonging to the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP), Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) and the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM).
- Malik claims ignorance of Pakistan chief justice's son case - Jun 13, 2012
- Pakistani apex court suspends Rehman Malik from Senate (Lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Pakistani daily lauds chief justice for not sparing son - Jun 08, 2012
- Court suspends Rehman Malik's Senate membership - Jun 04, 2012
- Pakistan court suspends MP over dual citizenship - May 25, 2012
- Pakistan Chief Justice urged not to hear son's case - Jun 07, 2012
- Pakistan chief justice summons son over graft reports - Jun 06, 2012
- Strict action ordered against Pakistani chief justice's son, realtor - Jun 15, 2012
- Lahore HC reserves verdict in plea challenging Zardari's pardon to Malik - Apr 29, 2011
- Allegations against CJI aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran - Jun 14, 2012
- Allegations against Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry aimed to paralyse judiciary: Imran (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Pakistan SC concerned over out-of-court settlements - Jun 01, 2012
- Pakistan court orders cases against MPs with fake degrees - Nov 06, 2010
- Are we living in Stone age, asks Pakistan court - Mar 28, 2012
- Verdict against judges who took oath after Musharraf declared emergency reserved - Jan 27, 2011
Tags: apex court, chief justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, dual nationality, iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, interior affairs, justice iftikhar muhammad chaudhry, muttahida qaumi movement, pakistan muslim league, pakistan muslim league nawaz, pakistan peoples party, pakistan supreme court, pakistani citizens, pml n, ppp pakistan, provincial assemblies, real estate tycoon, senate membership, supreme court bench, supreme court chief justice, television anchors