Not “a single piece of evidence” found against Qadir Gilani in Haj scam: FIA ChiefFebruary 22nd, 2011 - 5:16 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Feb 22 (ANI): Federal Investigation Agency’s (FIA) Director General Waseem Ahmed has claimed that his department has not found “a single piece of evidence” against Pakistan Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani’s son, Abdul Qadir Gilani, in the Haj scam, adding that he is only being investigated about his luxury bullet-proof jeep.
“He has nothing to do with the Haj scam; he is merely accused of evading duty while importing the jeep,” The Dawn quoted Ahmed, as saying.
Ahmed’s comments came after the junior Gilani met with the FIA officials, including Ahmed and other investigation officers, and recorded his statement pleading that he had done nothing wrong while importing the vehicle.
Insisting that the purchase of his vehicle does not involve any illegal means, Qadir said: “I have paid the import duty on the vehicle.”
Qadir was earlier charged with committing irregularities in arrangement for the pilgrimage. Ahmed himself had informed the Supreme Court on January 6 about two parliamentarians allegations that the Prime Minister’s son was involed in the scam.
“Parliamentarians Pirzada Syed Ahmed Imran and Bilal Yasin have not only accused Abdul Qadir Gilani, but also his close friend Zain Mohammad Sukhaira,” the FIA chief had told a seven-judge special bench headed by Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry.
He, however, came up with a different version of the story after meeting with Qadir, and added: “We do not have a single piece of evidence involving Qadir Gilani in the Haj scam. Although the case of Qadir Gilani is an offshoot of the Haj scam, it is only related to his vehicle.” (ANI)
- Pak Supreme Court terms govt's summary on FIA chief as 'classified joke of the year' - Mar 12, 2011
- Pak Govt again refuses to sack Waseem Ahmed as FIA chief - Mar 11, 2011
- FIA freezes foreign currency accounts of Pak's former Religious Affairs Minister - Jan 25, 2011
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- Government respects judiciary: Pakistani PM - Aug 02, 2011
- Gilani to oust Religious Affairs Minister over defective Haj arrangements - Nov 21, 2010
- Gilani most corrupt person in Pakistan's history: Azam Khan Swati - Jan 06, 2011
- Arrest all involved in Haj scam: Pakistani apex court - Dec 06, 2010
- Gilani stands disqualified as PM, rules Supreme Court (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2012
- S.Arabia gives Rs 3 crore to Pak to redress Haj pilgrims' grievances - Apr 20, 2011
- Gilani gets to see ancestor's manuscripts in Qatar - Feb 08, 2012
- Ex-PM Gilani's son wins by-poll - Jul 20, 2012
- Pakistani officials in Saudi Arabia to probe Haj scandal - Dec 16, 2010
- Benazir Bhutto's BlackBerry phones found - Feb 04, 2011
- Pak terms Gilani-Manmohan meeting as 'new opening' for resolution of disputes - Apr 01, 2011
Tags: bilal, bullet proof, chief justice iftikhar, director general, federal investigation, gilani, import duty, imran, investigation agency, irregularities, january 6, mohammad, offshoot, parliamentarians, pilgrimage, pirzada, syed ahmed, waseem, yasin, yousuf