No link between Mumbai, Sir Creek talks suspensionNovember 30th, 2008 - 4:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 30 (IANS) India has denied any link between the postponement of talks over the Sir Creek dispute and the Mumbai terror attacks and said there was also no plan to suspend the ceasefire along the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir. “The talks on Sir Creek were postponed a week ago, much before the Mumbai terror,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash told IANS.
The talks on Sir Creek, a disputed strip of water in the Rann of Kutch marshlands, were scheduled to be held in New Delhi Dec 2.
Prakash also said that talks on the Chenab water row are on course and will take place in Islamabad Monday. India’s Indus Water Commissioner left for Islamabad Saturday night.
The spokesperson also denied reports of India suspending the five-year-old ceasefire along the LoC, which divides Jammu and Kashmir between the two countries.
Prakash was reacting to stories doing the rounds in the Pakistani media that suggested that the ongoing composite dialogue between India and Pakistan had been indefinitely postponed.
“These stories are parts of Pakistan’s plan to create an impression that India is acting impulsively and derailing the talks whereas Pakistan was trying to keep the peace process on course,” a government official said.